The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit is not currently available in the region you have selected. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the USA, got this GWA telling me i dont have a valid key, want to purchase, but when i go to Buy a genuine product key online it saysits nt available from the region i picked.

Well i didnt pick a region, and my region on my computer is set to USA.

How do i complete this step and get a valid copy.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:53 AM

Answers

• windowsplease:

We can't sell WGA Kits with Media Centre Edition. MCE Windows are specific for certain hardware configurations and are ONLY available from OEM/System Builders that meet certain hardware requirements.

I would recommend purchasing a Windows XP Professional copy at a local reseller. I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:43 PM

All replies

• What region are you located in Windowsplease?

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:52 PM
  • my region on my computer is set to USA
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:30 PM
  • _windows_:

Sorry for the inconvenience! Sometimes our ordering system undergoes maintenance and will be down for a minute or two. Can you try again and let me know?

If you get the same failure, can you walk me through how you're getting to the ordering website?

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:14 PM
  • I have been trying every now and then and the same thing happens.

I get to this site buy either the GWA or when i try to intall WMP11. I click on buy now and it says it not available from my region selected.

My region on my computer is set to USA and i am located in the USA. My version of windows is Media Center Edition.
    Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:59 AM
  • could you please confirm the settings for your computer here. Select the appropriate region.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?gssnb=1

we look forward to your response

hth

dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:31 AM
  • usa, picked it there. then it took me to a help/support section of mictosoft. went to the buy now area again and still says not availble for my region selected.... strange.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:30 AM
  • windowsplease:

We can't sell WGA Kits with Media Centre Edition. MCE Windows are specific for certain hardware configurations and are ONLY available from OEM/System Builders that meet certain hardware requirements.

I would recommend purchasing a Windows XP Professional copy at a local reseller. I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:43 PM
  • can i upgrade somehow without losing any data? if i buy a full version.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:52 AM
  • Hi, Windowsplease,

XP Media Center Edition was never released by MS for retail sale.  It is only available from both kinds of OEM:  the large multinational OEMs like eMachines, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, etc, and the smaller "systembuilder OEM."

XXXX

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:35 PM
  • Dan:

I apologize, but I edited your post regarding purchasing MCE (OEM version) from another retailer. While I don't mind cross-postings in most cases, I would prefer not having the media centre (OEM) copy cross posted for the specific reason that media-centre CD's are very hardware specific. I would not want a user purchasing a copy that may or may not work.

I hope you understand my concern,

-PHil Liu

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:45 PM
  • WindowsPlease wrote in a previous post:

"My region on my computer is set to USA and i am located in the USA. My version of windows is Media Center Edition."

He already has Media Center installed on his computer.  We can't be sure since he did not post the results of the WGA diagnostic tool, but it's probably a safe bet that he used a key generator to install a systembuilder OEM copy onto his computer.  It wouldn't be from a multinational OEM (the only other source of MCE) because you would expect SLP to stop that from happening.

All I did was to direct him to an example source of where he could get a genuine copy of MCE to install on his computer to make him "legal."  If newegg.com is in compliance with MS's policies regarding systembuilderOEM software, WindowsPlease would have received one copy of MCE 2005 still in the manila bubble envelope that has the SystemBuilder Break-Seal agreement on it that would make WindowsPlease a systembuilder in the eyes of MS Licensing, Inc.

I don't agree with your statement that MCE has to be installed on computers with specific hardware.  It is true that if you want to use the digital video aspects of MCE that you would have to have one or more TV Tuner/Capture cards installed, but MCE will install on any computer that XP Home or Pro will install on.  If you go to Dell's website and start the process to order a mid-level home computer, the default OS is MCE 2005 no matter if you opt for the extra-cost TV tuner or not.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:06 AM
  • Dan:

Many thanks for the valuable feedback - our team is certainly using it to better our products in upcoming releases. :)

In response to MCE edition - I would prefer not forwarding a user to a product that may or may not work as intended (whether or not by lack of certain hardware configurations).

Thanks again!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:50 AM