Is there support for virtual folders on WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Not virtual folders from client machines for backup(which the technical brief says WHS doesnt support) but exporting virtual folders from WHS to clients ? 
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:02 PM

Answers

• Oh. No, Windows Home Server does not support a virtual folder defined and created on the server. Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, not Vista or Windows Server 2008. 

If you think it would be a useful feature, you can always submit a product suggestion through Connect Feedback.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:11 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about mapping a drive to your server? Accessing a server share? Windows Vista virtual folders (which are "canned" queries against the search index)? All of those should be supported, at least to the extent that they would be supported via any Windows Server 2003-based file server (so Vista virtual folders probably aren't, because I don't think they can be set up against a remote search index). 

If you're talking about something else, then it's not part of Windows, and so probably not supported.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Ken 
      Yes I am talking about Vista type virtual folders or virtual folders created programmatically against some internal database for e.g say indexing metadata of photos and displaying the tags as a folder structure. 

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Well, as I said, I don't think a Vista "virtual folder" would work against a WHS share, but that's because I don't think Vista supports the creation of a virtual folder that operates against a network share. It has nothing to do with WHS. 

As for other applications, if they support the indexing of files stored in locations accessed across a network, then they should work. For example, I know that Adobe Lightroom does work, but it's slow, becase it's working across a network and it needs to read the files to index them. Again, that has nothing to do with Windows Home Server; it's purely a function of Lightroom itself.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Looks like I might not have worded my original  post more clearly. I dont mean any of the following

1. A vista virtual folder against a WHS share(i.e backend is WHS search index or whatever).
    2. Backing up a virtual folder on vista to a WHS share

I mean a virtual folder on WHS itself or is the virtual folder concept only on Vista/Server 2008 ??? 
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Oh. No, Windows Home Server does not support a virtual folder defined and created on the server. Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, not Vista or Windows Server 2008. 

If you think it would be a useful feature, you can always submit a product suggestion through Connect Feedback.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:11 PM