none
How to proceed when OP changes question completely. Even removes complete question

Question

• Hello folks,

How to proceed when OP who posted a question changed it completely and many times just removes question and leaves it blank. I dont know what went into his mind which prompted him to do so. Its waste of genuine efforts which people put on this forum. IMO question should be removed completely and user should be reprimanded

example

Take a look at this user Kiran Kumar. I dont know why he just edited most of his question and just left blank.

Take a Look at this thread

He also changed completely this question

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:27 PM

Answers

• I have a list of users who I won't respond to (for various reasons), even if I have a quick answer to their question.

IMHO, it's best to just ignore those users who have continually proven themselves completely helpless and ignore all advice given to them and/or pout and complain when they don't get the 'answer' they want. It'll help keep your blood pressure down if you just skip the thread entirely.

If you really want to reply, you can just post this (courtesy of Bill Stewart):

http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/

I haven't actually seen this article make a difference yet, but perhaps some day it will.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by Shanky_621MVP Friday, December 12, 2014 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:40 PM
  • FEATURE REQUEST:

I think it would be a useful forum feature if you could go back and see past revisions of any post or reply.  So where it says "edited" you could click on that and see a list of previous versions of the post.  (I'm pretty sure that's how Facebook handles edited posts, for example -- or any wiki software.)

---

Another approach: Quote the original post entirely on your first reply.  Personally I think this is messy and redundant, and should be handled by the forum software, as per my above feature request.  Also, it's a preventative measure, so a quoted reply is just cruft unless someone irreparably alters the original.  So again I have to reiterate my feature request.  And although it only works if you had the foresight to quote the original before it was lost (you likely cannot recover the original post), it would work around your particular issue going forward, because the OP couldn't edit your quoted reply.  You could selectively apply this technique only to askers that have sufficiently low standing, for example.

Yet another approach:  If someone nukes their original post, then just let it go.  Shed your tears in solitude for the loss of information that could have been shared with the greater community and call it a day.  You could always post your own general discussion with the all the great wisdom you were about to share if you deem it to be valuable.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• I have a list of users who I won't respond to (for various reasons), even if I have a quick answer to their question.

IMHO, it's best to just ignore those users who have continually proven themselves completely helpless and ignore all advice given to them and/or pout and complain when they don't get the 'answer' they want. It'll help keep your blood pressure down if you just skip the thread entirely.

If you really want to reply, you can just post this (courtesy of Bill Stewart):

http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/

I haven't actually seen this article make a difference yet, but perhaps some day it will.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:40 PM
  • FEATURE REQUEST:

I think it would be a useful forum feature if you could go back and see past revisions of any post or reply.  So where it says "edited" you could click on that and see a list of previous versions of the post.  (I'm pretty sure that's how Facebook handles edited posts, for example -- or any wiki software.)

---

Another approach: Quote the original post entirely on your first reply.  Personally I think this is messy and redundant, and should be handled by the forum software, as per my above feature request.  Also, it's a preventative measure, so a quoted reply is just cruft unless someone irreparably alters the original.  So again I have to reiterate my feature request.  And although it only works if you had the foresight to quote the original before it was lost (you likely cannot recover the original post), it would work around your particular issue going forward, because the OP couldn't edit your quoted reply.  You could selectively apply this technique only to askers that have sufficiently low standing, for example.

Yet another approach:  If someone nukes their original post, then just let it go.  Shed your tears in solitude for the loss of information that could have been shared with the greater community and call it a day.  You could always post your own general discussion with the all the great wisdom you were about to share if you deem it to be valuable.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Thanks Mike, Wyck

As you guys suggested its better to ignore instead of crying on 2split milk". But I was more interested in amount of time and energy lost, of course we cannot recover that.

A very good suggestion about Feature request but AFAIK MS forum team has lots of feature request in pipeline so they wont be applying this in near future but I am sure some MS folks would see this thread and read the suggestion. Moderator has acted on thread and since one of the answers remember the question they have restored the question and closed the thread.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:36 PM