Homes Server as a Testing Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked around on the forums and found everything but an answer to this question: Can I use Home Server to test website applications at home? I read that WHS cannot be used as a domain which is fine but I am working on a budget and don't really need all of server 2008. Any suggestions or tips? Is this possible?

Thanks a lot!!!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• In theory, you probably can use it as you envision. However, it's not a design concern for the product, and using the product that way is unsupported. Windows Home Server isn't (as I've said elsewhere) "Windows Server 2003 lite".

Trying to use the web server portion of WHS the way you're contemplating also has a decent chance of breaking the WHS remote access features. You may not care about this if the only thing you're using WHS for is as a test server. But even in that case I would really find some way to lay my hands on Windows Server 2003 instead. WHS is less flexible because it's designed to be easy for non-technical people to use, so much functionality is locked away inside, and some bits are used as is by Windows Home Server itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:44 PM

All replies

• In theory, you probably can use it as you envision. However, it's not a design concern for the product, and using the product that way is unsupported. Windows Home Server isn't (as I've said elsewhere) "Windows Server 2003 lite".

Trying to use the web server portion of WHS the way you're contemplating also has a decent chance of breaking the WHS remote access features. You may not care about this if the only thing you're using WHS for is as a test server. But even in that case I would really find some way to lay my hands on Windows Server 2003 instead. WHS is less flexible because it's designed to be easy for non-technical people to use, so much functionality is locked away inside, and some bits are used as is by Windows Home Server itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Thanks I will try to find a copy of server 2003. I may use WHS in the future for media and home files. Thanks again!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:51 AM