none
SQL Server - New Certification?

Question

• Hi good afternoon.

There are 2 MCSA certifications:

* MCSA: SQL Server 2012
    * MCSA: SQL 2016

I'm studying for some time to the first certification (MCSA: SQL Server 2012), which consists of 3 tests (461, 462, 463), but I saw now that with the release of SQL 2016, there is a new certification (MCSA: SQL 2016), which consists of 6 tests (761, 762, 764. 765, 767, 768).

I wonder if this new certification came to replace the MCSA: SQL Server 2012, for which I have been studying for some time. Because I heard that there is expiration date to the certifications and that after a few years, Microsoft changes the structure of certifications. Therefore, I am concerned about taking the tests 461, 462, 463, spending all the money, etc., and then, this certification is not worth anything, because the MCSA: SQL 2016 have come to replace the first. So I would like to know whether this risk exists or not.

Thank you so much.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it is correct, that all certifications will expire after some time. So yes: The SQL Server 2012/14 certification will expire some time. The exam page does not give an expire date so far but if i remember correctly, a certification expires when 2 new versions are available.

Doing the SQL Server 2012/14 exams are not a loss of time or effort. You get a certification which is great. The disadvantage is, that the certification will expire before the SQL Server 2016 exams will expire. But the big advantage is, that the exam and training material is available now.

The SQL Server 2016 exams are still in development and there are no training kits available so far. But once the exams are available, you also have the advantage that you only have 2 exams to earn MCSA and not 3 exams.

(There are 3 MCSA titles available:
    1st: Database Development (761 / 762)
    2nd: Database Administration (764 / 765)
    3rd: BI Development (767 / 768)

So you can decide which MCSA you want to get and just do 2 exams.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Microsoft shows a publishing date on the pages of the exams. There are (at the moment):
    70-761: October 7th
    70-762: August 26th
    70-764: October 7th
    70-765: August 26th
    70-767: October 7th
    70-768: August 26th

So the first exams will be available in about one week and the other in less than 2 months.

Regarding the trainings: That is hard to say. This depends on the authors. (The official Courses was published in June I think - but that can be seen on the course page.)

All data can be found on subpages of https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-sql-2016-certification.aspx (exam details are behind "Take exam xxxxx" and the course details are behind "Take course xxx". You can also prepare without the training book through the topics listet on "Take exam" exan pages. (And even when doing a course or using the training book: I would recommend to go through everything there!)

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:15 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

it is correct, that all certifications will expire after some time. So yes: The SQL Server 2012/14 certification will expire some time. The exam page does not give an expire date so far but if i remember correctly, a certification expires when 2 new versions are available.

Doing the SQL Server 2012/14 exams are not a loss of time or effort. You get a certification which is great. The disadvantage is, that the certification will expire before the SQL Server 2016 exams will expire. But the big advantage is, that the exam and training material is available now.

The SQL Server 2016 exams are still in development and there are no training kits available so far. But once the exams are available, you also have the advantage that you only have 2 exams to earn MCSA and not 3 exams.

(There are 3 MCSA titles available:
    1st: Database Development (761 / 762)
    2nd: Database Administration (764 / 765)
    3rd: BI Development (767 / 768)

So you can decide which MCSA you want to get and just do 2 exams.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Nice. Thanks very much for the attention. Very well explained.

And any idea of when the exams for SQL 2016 will be available? And the training material?

Cheers

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft shows a publishing date on the pages of the exams. There are (at the moment):
    70-761: October 7th
    70-762: August 26th
    70-764: October 7th
    70-765: August 26th
    70-767: October 7th
    70-768: August 26th

So the first exams will be available in about one week and the other in less than 2 months.

Regarding the trainings: That is hard to say. This depends on the authors. (The official Courses was published in June I think - but that can be seen on the course page.)

All data can be found on subpages of https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-sql-2016-certification.aspx (exam details are behind "Take exam xxxxx" and the course details are behind "Take course xxx". You can also prepare without the training book through the topics listet on "Take exam" exan pages. (And even when doing a course or using the training book: I would recommend to go through everything there!)

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Very nice.

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:12 PM