Add tuner streaming to server product RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a server running windows server 2003 with 3 hauppauge tuners installed and beyond tv 4 ruuning which links to my 2 tv pc's which are running windows xp pro and beyond tv link 4.6.  It would be great to have this capability in the windows home server release or as an add on.  I do have a copy of media center 2005 and would switch back if there was a way to set it up like i can with beyond tv.

any thoughts on this?

thanks!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:21 AM

Answers

• I don't think this is a feature that Microsoft should add to WHS. They don't manufacture tuner cards.

The makers of tuner cards are the logical ISVs in this case. They are the ones who should come up with a streaming, remote controlled tuner application.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 11:41 AM
  • I have a dedicated PC with Tuner Cards  recording the shows on the WHS box. This works for me.

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:00 PM
  • There is a feedback thread for this suggestion 258648
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM

All replies

•   I have Vista Home Premium and a tuner on one of my PCs, will have Vista Home Premium without a tuner on another, and XP Pro on a laptop.  I would very much like to be able to stream live TV using the Windows Home Server.  I would recomend that an optional component be made available to do that.  I would not want that capability to get in the way of performing the main mission of backing up my network.

Larry

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:12 PM
  • I don't think this is a feature that Microsoft should add to WHS. They don't manufacture tuner cards.

The makers of tuner cards are the logical ISVs in this case. They are the ones who should come up with a streaming, remote controlled tuner application.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 11:41 AM
  • I have a dedicated PC with Tuner Cards  recording the shows on the WHS box. This works for me.

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Aha!  That works, but not streaming directly to another MCE box from live TV on another.   Can't see that a tuner can be utilized on the server.

Don

Friday, March 30, 2007 11:30 PM
  • There is a feedback thread for this suggestion 258648
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM
  • TV streaming is, in my opinion, the largest and most needed piece this software could use!  It is the only reason I stopped using MCE and went to Media Portal.  Media Portal supports a client/server envrionment so I can have a TV server with 5 tuner cards streaming to my other PC's attached to my TVs via ethernet.  Add this feature and I will be a MCE/WHS server for life.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:54 PM
  • I think this is something we'll see third party add-ins supporting.  Right now, I'm running Sage TV on my WHS box, and it works just fine for streaming TV either to the living room (using a MediaMVP box) or to another PC on the network (using the Sage Client software).  While Sage isn't officially supported in Windows 2003 Server environments, it has worked fine so far.  I would expect them (or someone else) to come out with an officially working add-in at some point down the line...
    Friday, April 20, 2007 12:35 AM
  • If Microsoft is not intrested in a client/server model for MCE it can stop development of its MCE product line al together. I don't think you can expect from preople to leave one PC on for backup and NAS , one for TV-streaming and recording and a third , posible xbox for watching TV or recordings.

The My TV module in MCE , or the guide was also not develped by a tuner manufacturer. Microsofts Integrated house policy , where they wat you to connect all there products asks for this TV server. This would give you imediate access to live TV and recorded TV on all PC's, Laptops ,Xboxes, and possebly future Zune's on the House network or even beyond. It would also allow them to easyly integrate their IPTV initiative in their own analog/digital TV server. A User should in the end not have to think about what signal is used for his TV show , but just select it from a universal guide hat brings it all together. Bringing things together is wat WHS is suposed to do , RIGHT ?
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:44 AM
  • A tuner is generally not a shareable resource since it can only access 1 channel at a time so it shouldn't be located on your server. Having a pool of tuners and using 1 tuner per distinct channel requested would porobably be better suited for a dedicated server and not WHS.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:28 PM
  •  

To the OP, I have BeyondTV installed on WHS wtih two AverMedia Combo tuners (1 SD and 1 HD source on each card). I access LiveTV and recordings via other PCs with BeyondTV Link. I've been doing this for several months now and it works just fine. The only problems I have found have been minor. You may want to use a separate scratch drive for recording since WHS may thrash the drive during balancing, but that is actually pretty rare. The only other issue is that if your recording folder has duplication on, WHS will immediately try to move the stream casing hiccups. Really, though, they are minor. I just setup a separate share called New Recordings with duplication turned off. Also, I’m running BeyondTV as a service so there is no need for the Admin to be logged into WHS.

While I understand the desire to have MCE built into WHS, I don’t really think it is necessary at this time. There are third party solutions available now, and in time I’m sure they will become even more streamlined.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

I realize that you are able to use third party products but i like the media center interface and would like to have one solution that is client/server based as beyond tv is.  beyond tv is great and i've been using it for several years along with the firefly and beyond media, however, there have been no improvements to beyond media since i purchased it several years ago and it doesn't look like there ever will.  having a nice one product solution with a great interface is what i'm talking about.  microsoft has everything i want, they just left out the live tv and guide streaming.  i don't think they should force people to use it, but it would be great if this was at least an option in media center.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I just started looking into the whole Sage TV and Beyond product lines. I want to have a "One Box Deal" and not have to run WHS and an MCE box.  Never used an MCE box, but I know I don't want two machines running.

SageTV seems to have the best set up. Get their Hauppauge 500 card, STreamzap remote and Sage software pakage deal and a wired media extender for each tv in the house. Bam, you have your server and media center all in one!

Also, I want to run vids with Divx and Xvid encoding and SageTV seems to handle that part. As long as the extenders can handle that format.. I guess I should install the K-lite Codec pack on WHS too.  Any feed back on both of those questions?

Any Sage users have any good web links to reviews, tweaks and set up info? Thanks in advance...
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:31 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Any Sage users have any good web links to reviews, tweaks and set up info? Thanks in advance...

I have been using SageTV for quite a while here (even before WHS) and I love it. These days it has alot of addins plus good support for transcoding, streaming and web access.

One big ressource: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/

Erik.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:53 AM
  • i prefer mediaportal, sage product is good too

try and see what works best with your hardware
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Can you please tell me how you set this up?  I have a HP MediaSmart WHS server and a tv tuner installed in a client pc running vista ultimate,  I want to record tv, etc.... on the vista client and then transfer the recordings over to the WHS server.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Jwilhoit,

Well, you've not told us much about your total set up. We need more to help you with some direction.

Honestly, I'd say you would simply configure the tuner card software to save the files to a folder on the client pc with the tuner card until the recording is completed for a given program. Maybe that software also has the option of then moving the file once it's completed the recording to a shared folder on WHS.  This is something that uTorrent does with files that are in the process of downloading.

Anyway, we  would need more info in order to give you specific help....
    Monday, February 11, 2008 2:47 AM