stop error screen after installing of WHS on Lenovo T61 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a T61 laptop that I just replaced the HDD on with a WD 320GB. After going through the installation process on my T61 I get an stop error screen as WHS is trying to boot up. I tried reinstalling 2 times with no luck. I was able to successfully install linux on the laptop without issues.

Are there any compatibility issues with the HDD or T61?

Thanks

Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• What stop error?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:39 PM
  • My guess is that you need the right SATA drivers for your motherboard. This is needed in both steps of the install process, otherwise you would fail to install correctly. Easiest way is to slipstream the drives in.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

I have a T61 and the recovery CD will detect the SATA (in compatibility mode) drive and network adapter.  However, the first time I went to restore I had a BSOD near the end of the restore process.  I rebooted and tried again and it worked fine.  I didn't track what the problem was because it only happened the once (background cosmic radiation :-/ )

However, when I did my recovered I used compatibility mode for SATA Controller Mode Option in the BIOS settings under (Serial ATA (SATA) )

You can just enable this for recovery as you will have the AHCI drivers from your previous install.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Jerms55 Monday, June 7, 2010 8:32 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I have a T61 laptop that I just replaced the HDD on with a WD 320GB. After going through the installation process on my T61 I get an stop error screen as WHS is trying to boot up. I tried reinstalling 2 times with no luck. I was able to successfully install linux on the laptop without issues.

Are there any compatibility issues with the HDD or T61?

Thanks

FYI, installing WHS on a laptop is unsupported and really not a good idea (except maybe for evaluation purposes).
    Friday, April 2, 2010 6:16 PM