none
How to change Workgroup name or Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS setup but need to change the workgroup name (to match workgroup name of the other 4 pc's in my LAN).  I have the Telsver.RDP to access the server, but at sign-on, it reports I'm not a member of the remote desktop Users Group (and not sure how to create that Remote Desktop Users Group if I cannot access that section of the server). 
    As an option (and probably unnecessary)  I was wondering if anyone has used their WHS to create a domain on their LAN, and then just have the other pc's join the domain. Advantage of course is administering group policies, etc,. but I am hoping to be able to just do the first option and make my WHS workgroup name consistent with the workgroup my other LAN pc's are on.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• I have WHS setup but need to change the workgroup name (to match workgroup name of the other 4 pc's in my LAN).

It's not necessary.  It will function properly without changing the workgroup name.  However, if you really want to do it, it works just like XP/Server 2003.

I have the Telsver.RDP to access the server, but at sign-on, it reports I'm not a member of the remote desktop Users Group (and not sure how to create that Remote Desktop Users Group if I cannot access that section of the server). 

Only the Administrator account can logon to the server desktop (which, by the way, logging into the server desktop is unsupported).

As an option (and probably unnecessary)  I was wondering if anyone has used their WHS to create a domain on their LAN

While WHS will work in a domain environment, WHS cannot be part of a domain.

and then just have the other pc's join the domain. Advantage of course is administering group policies, etc,. but I am hoping to be able to just do the first option and make my WHS workgroup name consistent with the workgroup my other LAN pc's are on.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:46 AM