none
Feature request - No Replies/Unread for all selected forums, not in one RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'd like to request the feature, to have ability to get the list of all thread without replies (No Replies) or unread threads (Unread button) ACROSS all forums in specifig group.
    I don't like the idea to switch forum by forum and check what's new appeared there and what's not replied - i takes a lot of time and very very annoying :(

If only I could select which forums I wan't to check and have the single page with all post from selected forums it would simplify using this forums significantly.
    Visual C# MVP | My SharePoint blog
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:02 AM

All replies

• A "My Forums" feature has been discussed a few times here, and has been noted.

Doing this across ALL forums would be a very expensive operation and would likely give you a lot of stuff you have no interest in (I would guess that most people only read a few forums).

We've just rearchitected the technical underpinnings of the forum site, and this might be somethign we'd be interested in implementing. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:54 PM
  • > Doing this across ALL forums would be a very expensive operation

He didn't say that. He said all forums *in a specific group*

I took that to mean all the forums under one heading on the Forums Home page - such as (in my case) all SharePoint forums.

That ought to be possible and wouldn't mean "a lot of stuff you have no interest in".

The request for a My Forums feature is the next level of desire, but I see two levels in his request, the first (in a specific group) ought to be possible to do automatically, I'd have thought, while the user is at the main page for that particular group of forums.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Yep, as was already noted nobody interesting in getting info across ALL Forums :)
    But a lot of people are expertized in specific areas. For example I interesting about all posts in SharePoint section of this forum, regardless number of sharepoint subforums, and I would like to get the summarized view (similiar as My Threads) for all post in SharePoint group

That would definitely simplify out reply contributions to teched forums, because you can see everythin on the single screen - new posts, post without replies and etc. And it would require me to iterate across ALL subforums inside SharePoint section. Which is actully really annoying and takes a lot of time (that's why I like NNTP News Group, because they are really flexible and I spend 30 mins per day to monitor and reply to 20 news groups without checks each group)

I really eager to have this feature for technet forums, it just increase number of answered and closed posts
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  Yep, Mike, exactly.
    Why not just provide the same toolbar to check the post for the SharePoint heading section, like we have in all sharepoint subforums.

Just put the same toolbar for all sharepoint section.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

> Doing this across ALL forums would be a very expensive operation

He didn't say that. He said all forums *in a specific group*

I took that to mean all the forums under one heading on the Forums Home page - such as (in my case) all SharePoint forums.

Ah, yes, you're right. I didn't catch that.

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, October 6, 2008 2:37 PM