none
How to Trick Photo Story into Using 16:9 Aspect Ratio? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Photo Story to create wide-angle pans that I import into Movie Maker.

So far all the pans have used the 4:3 aspect ratio.

A few years ago, PapaJohn wrote in his blog:

"Photo Story works in a standard 4:3 aspect ratio, and comes with quality settings that only save stories to that ratio. 

"With TVs, monitors and website viewers more and more supporting widescreen, you can trick Photo Story to produce a widescreen 16:9 or any other aspect ratio story. Do it by deliberately distorting the images before you import them, combined with using a custom profile to distort them back in the other direction when you render the story."

Unfortunately, the author's links that provide examples are dead. Can anyone elaborate on how to do this process, or point me to a resource that provides examples and/or more details?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:37 PM

All replies

• As I dig into the topic more deeply, I see that I need to learn how to make a 16:9 custom profile for Photo Story, install it in PS, and then distort my wide images to fit. At least that's my understanding so far.

PapaJohn's custom profiles aren't available due to the dead links.

I'll keep working at it. If anyone can offer some advice, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just keep slogging ahead.

Bill

Saturday, February 10, 2018 5:40 PM
  • Okay, I got it working.

I used the 1280x720.prx custom profile I found at Q4SteveB's site. It did the job.
    I sized the wide image in Photoshop with a height of 720 and an appropriate width.

The link is at http://www.questions4steveb.co.uk/html/PhotoStory/Downloadable-output-Profiles

You'll need to copy/paste the link because I don't have permissions to embed it in text.

Hope the link helps others trying to do the same thing.

Bill

• Edited by BSquared18 Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:27 PM
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:25 PM
  • In case anyone is interested, below are some notes I wrote to myself to help me remember the next time I need to create a 16:9 pan. The .prx file mentioned is referenced in my previous comment.

1.       If not already done, copy/paste 1280x720.prx at C:\Program Files (x86)\Photo Story 3 for Windows\Profiles\1033.
    2.       Create the ultra wide .jpg image (up to 360 degrees), either by using an automatic splicing program or splicing the images in a program like Photoshop.
    3.       In Photoshop (or similar program), open the original ultra-wide image.
    4.       Open Image à Image Size. Make sure the Constrain Proportions box is checked.
    5.       In the Pixel Dimensions section, change Height to 720. That will automatically change the width. In the example, it becomes 3569.
    6.       Save this .jpg with a new name. In the example, it is Monolith Garden Pan Finished 3569x720 Constrained.jpg.
    7.       Start a new story (project) in Photo Story.
    8.       Import the ultra-wide-angle image that has been edited in, for example, Photoshop; e.g., Monolith Garden Pan Finished 3569x720 Constrained.jpg.
    9.       Click Next. Ignore the pop-up window concerning black bars. Click Yes.
    10.      Click Next.
    11.      Click on Customize motion. Make sure the start and end boxes are at the left and right extremes respectively. Adjust the timing and click on Preview to see if the timing looks good. Use either the default timing, or click on Number of seconds to display the picture, and enter a different time. Avoid pans that are too fast.
    12.      When the pan timing looks good, click on Save (if the option is available) and Close.
    13.      Click Next, Next (assuming these windows aren’t relvant).
    14.      Select Save your story for playback on your computer.
    15.      Specify the file name and location.
    16.      Click on Settings. select 1280x720 for 16:9. That comes from the .prx file you installed.
    17.      Click on OK.
    18.      Click Save Project and then click on Next.
    19.      The video should be generated. In the examples, it is Photo Story Monolith Garden 3569x720.wmv.
    20.      The .wmv movie can be imported into a Movie Maker project. The example is named 3569x720 Constrained Example.wlmp.
    21.      The sample generated movie is named 3569x720 Constrained Example.mp4. (It pans a bit faster than desirable.)

Regards,
    Bill

Monday, February 12, 2018 12:35 AM