none
Change behavior of 'Please select a forum ...' box in updated left rail

Question

• Hello,

I like the recent change to the selected forums that are displayed in the left rail. However, I think that it would be helpful for the action of clicking on the 'Please select a forum ...' box to be similar to what happens when you click on the [ view all ] link, rather than expanding into a list view.

If you'd rather keep the list view (which is fine by me), I think it would be helpful for the forum information card to appear if you mouse over the forum name. I believe that this will help people find the proper forum when they are looking for forums to add to their views.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:36 AM

All replies

• I would have to disagree about the "View all" format. I have always found this format extremely clunky. I prefer the list box.

In fact I do not really see the reason for the "View all" link any more.

But I agree about the mouse-over (provided it has a delay!). Right now the forum information is only displayed by mouse-over after you have made the selection.

Also, do you think it is entirely obvious that the 'Please select a forum...' box is a search box? I did not realize this at first (but I am notoriously UI-challenged). Perhaps when you first click on the box and the forum list appears, the 'Please select a forum...' text should disappear and a "search magnifier" should appear. Maybe also, clicking in the box should toggle between the selected list and selectable list. Currently you have to click outside the box in order to see the selected list.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:42 AM
  • The reason I prefer the View All format is that it defaults to collapsed. Some of the forums I frequent are way down in the list, so it takes forever to get to them scrolling through the small list box.

Also, I don't think that it's obvious that the 'Please select a forum...' box is a search box at all. In fact, I didn't realize that until you mentioned it. I guess this makes it easier for me to select the forums I'm after, but I still think that this isn't the optimal way to show a forum listing to brand new users who don't know what they're looking for.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:39 PM