HDD Failure - re-install of Windows XP Home to HDD fails with Invalid License RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am rebuilding an Acer notebook for a friend after a hard drive probblem.  It is an Acer Travelmate 2700 series.  The drive has be FDisked and repartitioned and formatted.  I have been given the original CD for XP Home that came with the notebook (Windows XP SP2).  When running the installation it gets to the point of asking for the product key, which I read off the sticker under the notebook - but it returns an error syaing that the license code is invalid.

Everything is original, but it says it is not valid - I have never hit this issue before.

Can anyone advise?
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:56 AM

Answers

• Robbill1003,

Your best option for many reasons is to contact Acer tech support or customer service to inquire if recovery or reinstallation CDs can be ordered directly from Acer.  If available, these will be guaranteed to be virus and malware free and to work perfectly with the computer.

I would strongly urge you to NOT do any installations of XP (or any other program for that matter) using an iso file downloaded from the general internet.  Microsoft research shows that the majority of these iso downloads are packed with malware, viruses, and rootkit code---certainly something we can all agree that we want to avoid!

If Acer tech support cannot help, try www.restoredisks.com

If no joy there, ask your friends and releatives if any have a genuine hologramed XP Home systembilder/OEM CDROM.  You can use this genuine hologrammed CD plus the OEM PK on the Acer CoA to successfully install XP Home onto the Acer.  Under no circumstances should you settle for a dwonloaed iso for the previously stated reasons!!!  DO NOT use the PK that came with the hologrammed CD--instead be sure to use the PK on the Acer CoA.  Then, instead of doing the automated online activation (which will not work), do the telephonic activation.  If the initial telephonic activation is rejected, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative, then tell them you are doing a clean instalaltion of XP Home onto an Acer that originally came with XP Home, but that the computer had its hard disk replaced and because of that you cannot access the Recovery Partition which is needed to reinstall XP.  The activation rep should then issue you an activation code and you will have a genuine activated XP Home installation free of any possible rootkits or other malware.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, December 26, 2008 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• Robbill1003,

Most likely situation is that the CD you were given is NOT the CD that came with the computer.  The error message you are receiving is typical when there is a mismatched in the types of product keys.

For example, if you try to use the XP Home OEM product key on the Certificate of Authenticity on the bottom of the Acer while installing XP with an XP Home retail CD, either full or upgrade, you would get that error message.

A genuine hologrammed XP Home OEM CD will have "for distribution with a new PC" embedded within the hologram at the 10 o'clock position on the CD.  IME Acer computers do not normally come with a genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD, they usually come with an Acer-manufactured non-hologrammed Recovery/Reinstallation CD.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Thanks for this Dan,

I have been looking at this today, and downloaded an ISO for XP Home to check this (only problem was the CD was Swedish!) - It worked, so it is definately down to the CD.  You are right for the CD I have been given that came with the notebook... but it is not a bootable CD, and has no I386 folder on for re-installing Windows, so not much use.   It looks like I need to get hold of an English Windows XP Home SP2 CD somehow so that I can put the O.S. back on with its licence code from the sticker.

I have not been able to get this so far though - still looking.

thanks

robbill1003
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Robbill1003,

Your best option for many reasons is to contact Acer tech support or customer service to inquire if recovery or reinstallation CDs can be ordered directly from Acer.  If available, these will be guaranteed to be virus and malware free and to work perfectly with the computer.

I would strongly urge you to NOT do any installations of XP (or any other program for that matter) using an iso file downloaded from the general internet.  Microsoft research shows that the majority of these iso downloads are packed with malware, viruses, and rootkit code---certainly something we can all agree that we want to avoid!

If Acer tech support cannot help, try www.restoredisks.com

If no joy there, ask your friends and releatives if any have a genuine hologramed XP Home systembilder/OEM CDROM.  You can use this genuine hologrammed CD plus the OEM PK on the Acer CoA to successfully install XP Home onto the Acer.  Under no circumstances should you settle for a dwonloaed iso for the previously stated reasons!!!  DO NOT use the PK that came with the hologrammed CD--instead be sure to use the PK on the Acer CoA.  Then, instead of doing the automated online activation (which will not work), do the telephonic activation.  If the initial telephonic activation is rejected, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative, then tell them you are doing a clean instalaltion of XP Home onto an Acer that originally came with XP Home, but that the computer had its hard disk replaced and because of that you cannot access the Recovery Partition which is needed to reinstall XP.  The activation rep should then issue you an activation code and you will have a genuine activated XP Home installation free of any possible rootkits or other malware.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, December 26, 2008 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:03 PM