xp licence RRS feed

• Question

• my laptop has xp professional installed on it, and the laptop has now decided to crash hard, i can't even get to windows login screen, (it tells me it can't load the (hive) file on a blue screen) :( i want to be able to boot from a disc with xp on it as my computer was a demo instore and was not supplied with the disc so that i can maybe reinstall xp, wipe everything and start afresh, will the product key be valid on the same computer 2nd time round and where can i get a copy of xp to reinstall with?
    • Edited by Craig 24 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:46 AM help!
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hello Craig24,

No other info needed.

Your next task is to contact Toshiba support to see if they can send you the recovery/reinstallation discs for your exact model of Toshiba.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hello Craig24,

Does your laptop have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows affixed to the bottom?  If so, what version and edition of Windows is listed on it?  And what manufacturer is listed on it?  (Don't post the product key.)  If your laptop has a CoA, it's still licensed to run that version and edition of Windows.

Usually your best option IMO is to contact the customer service or tech support of the manufacturer of the laptop and request to purchase a set of recovery/reinstallation discs for that exact make and model of computer.  If the manufacturer still has them in stock, generally they will charge $15-25 for the disc(s) and shipping.

If out of stock, one alternative souce is www.restoredisks.com.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:05 PM
  • hey mate, yes it does have a certificate of authenticity affixed to the bottom of pc, windows XP Professional, Toshiba, do you want all other codes but the product key?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hello Craig24,

No other info needed.

Your next task is to contact Toshiba support to see if they can send you the recovery/reinstallation discs for your exact model of Toshiba.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Hi again,

I have tried a toshiba recovery console disc and it stops working whilst 'recovering' and then tells me to hit ok to stop and shutdown computer so i was wondering if i was able to provide microsoft with my product key (proof of ownership) would i be able to obtain a replacement from them?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:35 AM
  • "Craig 24" wrote in message news:6599b744-d607-4118-96e0-53792a40ae16...

Hi again,

I have tried a toshiba recovery console disc and it stops working whilst 'recovering' and then tells me to hit ok to stop and shutdown computer so i was wondering if i was able to provide microsoft with my product key (proof of ownership) would i be able to obtain a replacement from them?

No - Toshiba are responsible for this. Contact them and request a set of disks - they'll send them out for a (relatively) nominal sum.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Thanks Noel will give it a go....
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Hello Craig 24,

Click on Product Support at the top left of this page http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp  then drill down to select your model.

My guess is that if there is a systemic issue with running the official Toshiba recovery discs (not recovery console as the RC is a part of Windows and will not reinstall the OS), it would be addressed in the model-specific area for your laptop.

Monday, April 25, 2011 1:26 PM