none
Primary disk full RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I recently noticed that my WHS console warns me for low disk space.
    Is there any way I can change this primary disk for a larger one?

- 1st disk 80GB ( 20 for system drive)
    - 2 disks og 500GB

There are hardly any programs installed on the system disk ( just Firefox and Mediaplayer 11) so there is not much to clean up I'm afraid.

Any help would be appreciated

Beechhead
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

• I de-installed every program non microsoft except for avast, still 19Gb taken!!!!!
    isn't 20GB too little?

Not if you use it as designed.

How can I free up some space?

Then there is still something extra in your OS partition.  (Mine is only using 7 GB.)  You might check the logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) and see if they are the culprit.  (If nothing else, just check the Properties on each folder on the C drive until you find where there is a lot of space being used for no apparent reason.)
    • Marked as answer by Beechhead Friday, August 14, 2009 8:33 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:29 AM

All replies

• Assuming your shares are all duplicated, you can replace the disk and perform a server reinstallation. See this FAQ for (sketchy) information about the process. Note that replacing the system disk (or any disk, if you don't/can't remove it from the storage pool using the console) runs a risk of losing backups or files in shares not flagged for duplication.

Also, I suspect you'll find that your C: partition is the one that's full. If so, you should be aware that there is no way to resize that partition during setup. It will be 20 GB after a reinstallation, and may fill up again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Thankx Ken for your clear answer.

Isn't it possible to make that C driver bigger? If it isn't you can't use the C drive for anything else.
    Can't you resize the C drive with a partitioning program after the reinstallation?

Thankx in advance

Beechhead
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:49 PM
    Isn't it possible to make that C driver bigger? If it isn't you can't use the C drive for anything else.
    Can't you resize the C drive with a partitioning program after the reinstallation?
    There's no supported way to resize the C: partition. Windows Home server isn't designed to be used as a desktop operating system; installing any software other than a Windows Home Server add-in (installed through the Windows Home Server console) is unsupported. 

That said, you'll find a "how to" somewhere in the forums here (sorry, I don't have a link) which will help you out with resizing the C: partition. Just realize that it's not supported, and that there's a chance a future update to Windows Home Server will break if you've resized your system partition (Microsoft isn't likely to worry too much about anything that's not supported in preparing updates).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Thankx Ken

Point is clear. I have to de-install the programs. But isn't wmv 11 suposed to run on the server to stream media? Or should I install it on one of the other partions?
    Thankx again

Beechhead
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Thankx Ken

Point is clear. I have to de-install the programs. But isn't wmv 11 suposed to run on the server to stream media?

No.  WHS already has Windows Media Connect 2.0 for streaming.

Or should I install it on one of the other partions?

You shouldn't install it at all.
    Thankx again

Beechhead

Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:16 AM
  • I de-installed every program non microsoft except for avast, still 19Gb taken!!!!!
    isn't 20GB too little?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:24 PM
    isn't 20GB too little?

Not if you use it as designed.

Then there is still something extra in your OS partition.  (Mine is only using 7 GB.)  You might check the logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) and see if they are the culprit.  (If nothing else, just check the Properties on each folder on the C drive until you find where there is a lot of space being used for no apparent reason.)
    • Marked as answer by Beechhead Friday, August 14, 2009 8:33 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:29 AM