RDP Help RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use the computer that I'm on now (computer A) to connect to a computer on my home network (computer B) using the RDP built into Windows7. I've done some searching online and every time I find a suggestion it always involves installing a separate program which I don't want to have to do.

What do I have to do to use Computer A to connect to Computer B even though they aren't on the same network?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:43 PM forum consolidation (From:Networking)
    Monday, August 2, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• What do I have to do to use Computer A to connect to Computer B even though they aren't on the same network?

If you are stating this correctly, you can't, not possible.  Since the computers are not on the same network (implies the networks are not physically connected) there is no way for RDP to communicate.  Maybe you are thinking you can use the internet?

I'm trying to use the computer that I'm on now (computer A)

Be a little more specific, where is the computer located in relation to Computer B?  In your Home, Work, a Cafe', a friends house.  Any other location other than HOME would require the use of the internet.

In gernal, to do RDP over the Internet your internet router at home would need to forward port TCP 3389 to your Computer B, and any firewall at the Computer A location would need to allow port TCP 3389 out.  There is probably more to it than that.  Other alternatives would be to change the TCP port used on Computer B for RDP to port 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS), or 20-21 (FTP), as all of these are usually open on Firewalls.  This may be the best option.  This is the best help i can provide.  Good luck.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:49 PM