Problem/Question connecting external USB HD.... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just connected an external USB HD to my HP Mediasmart server.  I was under the impression that if i click to "add" it to storage for the server that it will get formatted.  I don't want this to happen, I just want to be able to access the information I currently have on it through the Windows Home Server.  How is this done without adding it to storage and having it formatted by the OS. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:47 PM

Answers

• You will have to remote desktop to your WHS and share that drive manually if you want it shared to other computers.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:54 PM
  • You can only log on to WHS through Remote Desktop using the Administrator user id.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

That did it.. Thanks for your help.. Now I see I need to add 2GB chip of memory to this system too.. Already uses more than the 512MB it shipped with. 

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:46 AM

All replies

• what ive read says that any drive attached will be formated. to acces files hook the usb to your client computer and drag the files to the shared doc. folder in the home server console then they will be in your server.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:16 PM
  • I believe that the drive will be accessible until you go to your console and choose to add it to the storage pool.  That is when it actually becomes formatted.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:20 PM
  • your right i pluged one in it loaded the drivers i went to my computer and just opened it.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:27 PM
  •  

I plugged mine in, as i stated before.. it comes up in the storage console, but as far as accessing it from my laptop, i enter the server name, but it only shows me shared folders, doesn't show the attached drive anywhere...  How did you get it to work?  Don't think drivers need to be loaded if it's already seen by the server.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:53 PM
  • You will have to remote desktop to your WHS and share that drive manually if you want it shared to other computers.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:54 PM
  • That sounds like a plan, only when i try and connect and enter a valid username and password that has local and remote access authorized on the server, it gives me an error that says, "To log on to this remote computer you must be granted the Allow logon through Terminal Services right.  By default members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right.  If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop Users group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually."

Any idea on what could be blocking me from connecting to WHS through Remote Desktop?

Thanks again.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:24 AM
  • Login as administrator with your server password.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:38 AM
  • You can only log on to WHS through Remote Desktop using the Administrator user id.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

That did it.. Thanks for your help.. Now I see I need to add 2GB chip of memory to this system too.. Already uses more than the 512MB it shipped with. 

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:46 AM