windows XP update validation error 0X80080299 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed a new copy of windows XP home on a customers computer that needed to have it's hard drive replaced.  I started to do the windows updates, but when I got to the validation I received error 0X80080299.  How do I get this to allow me to update windows?
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hey ya'll!

For the 299 error, we're aware of the problem and have a workaround (it lies within permissions of the ActiveX validation program).

Open internet explorer, click "tools" then "manage add ons" then find the Windows Genuine Advantage activeX control and put it as "ENABLE". If the setting is only allowed to be changed by administrators, then you must go to your C:\windows\system32 and DELETE the LegitCheckControl.dll file. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en and revalidate. That will reload the DLL file correctly.

Then try windows update again. Sorry for the trouble!

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:26 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Home Edition onto a clients machine. Windows has already been successfully activated. However, when I start to install Windows Updates I am prompted with the error 0x80080299. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:53 PM
  • Hey ya'll!

For the 299 error, we're aware of the problem and have a workaround (it lies within permissions of the ActiveX validation program).

Open internet explorer, click "tools" then "manage add ons" then find the Windows Genuine Advantage activeX control and put it as "ENABLE". If the setting is only allowed to be changed by administrators, then you must go to your C:\windows\system32 and DELETE the LegitCheckControl.dll file. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en and revalidate. That will reload the DLL file correctly.

Then try windows update again. Sorry for the trouble!

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:26 PM
  • I received this error today too.  I just blew an hour and a half trying to find a way to make my legit copy of oem windows validate.  The message above did help, but not exactly the way described.  I already had the activex contrl enabled, but I selected "update" for the control, and then after the install validation worked.  very frustrating.  Guilty-by-default on validation does not seem to be a very customer friendly policy.  I spent $1400 on a laptop that most certainly has a legal copy of XP.
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:42 PM
  • I have had the same copy of XP pro for over 2 years now, I just reinstalled my OS and now I can not perform windows updates. I open IE and go to tools, i do NOT see a manage add ons in there. Please advise, I really need to get  this machine up and running.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:39 AM
  • I guess I'm using a lower version of internet explorer that doesn't have the "manage add ons". However, by closing out ALL of my IE windows and visiting that link. Then opening another IE window and going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com - I was able to update!

If I would have only known about this early - I could have saved $150  When I seen that my version was not legit - I went out and bought an OEM from tigerdirect - It hasn't even gotten here yet - I hope they will accept a return.

- Compu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:26 AM
  • You said, "...click "tools" then "manage add ons" then..." I cant find this in my current browser and I cant update my browser because windows is reading as invalid. Also as suggested in several forums, I don't have the the legit~.dll.Whats the next step?
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:30 PM
  • Can you get the WGA diagnostic report from the machine by running MGADiag.exe using the below link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You can run the tool and copy paste the results to this thread

Thanks,
    Satish

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:34 PM