Client Backup Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I installed WHS 2011 on a 300GB drive. It divided the drive into 3 partitions -- a 100MB partition, a 60GB system partition (C:\) and a 219.39GB partition (D:\). The D:\ partition contains the server folders, one of which is Client Computer Backups. I added a 1TB external drive which is assigned to Server Backups.

Problem: After running backups of several client computers, I ran out of space on the D:\ drive. I added a second external drive -- 500GB -- thinking it would automatically be used for Client Backup Storage. WRONG! Such was the case in WHS2008, but not in WHS2011. How do I add more drive space and assign it for Client Backups? (Note: I tried moving the Client Backup Folder to the new 500GB drive, but that did not work. Now Dashboard/Computers and Backups shows backup status as "unknown" for each backup I performed. When I try to run a backup, I get an alert saying that the backup is inactive because necessary folders are missing.)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:06 AM

All replies

• Moving the client backups folder to a different drive is the only way to increase the space available for storing backups. However, you need to do this using the tools available in the dashboard. If you log in to the server desktop and move the folder outside the dashboard, Windows Home Server won't know that it's been moved. 

To recover, you can try simply repointing the folder in the dashboard to it's new location. If that doesn't work, you will have to reinstall Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Hi! Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I moved the folder using dashboard and it completed successfully. But I have not found a way to "repoint" to it. I can change the location of the server backup - no problem. But there does not seem to be a similar way to change the location of client backups. Any thoughts/suggestions

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:16 PM
  • If you moved the "Client Computer Backup" folder using the Dashboard, that's all you need to do. client backups will automatically be put there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi! Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I agree, that should be all you need to do. Unfortunately, it does not work that way in the real world. I gave up trying to "fix" the problem and just reinstalled WHS2011 with the 1TB HD as the main drive (plenty of room for backups on it) and a 500GB external drive to back up the server. Almost everything (see new post Unable to Connect WinXP machine) is working now.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:47 AM