WHS on existing VISTA PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

My old PC is too old for WHS as its doesnt have SATA.
    Is it possible to install an evaluation copy on my existing VISTA PC and make it dual boot into one or the another at startup?

This might be a silly question, as I could do it with XP, so hopefully this concept hasnt changed for VISTA + WHS.

Many thanks in anticipation
    Andy Budgell
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:21 PM

Answers

• No. When you install Windows Home Server it will take over all the hardware in whatever PC you install on, formatting all disk drives, so it's not possible to install it as a second operating system for a dual boot configuration.

For evaluation purposes, there's nothing wrong with using your old PC, then once you've had a few days to decide if you like the product you can decide whether to buy hardware to build your own, or buy a pre-built server from an OEM such as Acer, HP, or Lenovo. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soft Techy Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:22 PM

All replies

• No. When you install Windows Home Server it will take over all the hardware in whatever PC you install on, formatting all disk drives, so it's not possible to install it as a second operating system for a dual boot configuration.

For evaluation purposes, there's nothing wrong with using your old PC, then once you've had a few days to decide if you like the product you can decide whether to buy hardware to build your own, or buy a pre-built server from an OEM such as Acer, HP, or Lenovo. 

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soft Techy Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hey thanks for your reply Ken.

Sounds a bit harsh formatting all drives? Why do that?!

Maybe I got my terminology wrong when I said dual boot, I mean only one OS will be active at a time so obviously all hardware will be under the control of that OS, be it WHS or VISTA. So I dont see why there should be a limitation on this, do you know why?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Short answer: Microsoft chose to do it that way. :) Longer answer: Windows Home Server manages the drives installed in the server for you; in order to do so it formats them during installation (or later on when you add the drive to the storage pool). Remember that it's not a desktop operating system since it's designed to run with no keyboard, mouse, or video at all, and it's designed to be on 24x7, backing up your client computers, protecting data, etc. Microsoft likely saw no real need to preserve anything when a system builder installs the software.

You may want to take a look at the documentation available through the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site. There's a lot, and it's likely to answer many questions you don't even know you have. :)

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:14 PM
  • My old PC is too old for WHS as its doesnt have SATA.

Windows Home Server will install fine with PATA (IDE) drives.

Also if you want to use your current machine - disconnect all the current drives and use a spare drive for Windows Home Server.  Windows Home Server will not dual boot and attempting to set this up will probably leave you in stuck.

Another alternative you might want to try is running Windows Home Server in a Virtual Machine - there are a few articles out there on how to do it with VMWare Server 2, Virtual PC and ESXi.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for the info guys. As it happened my old PC was up to the job, and I'm currently typing this from my Windows Home Server evaluation! And Ken, you were right, all data on my 2 drives were wiped! Fortunately its all backed up. Thanks Andy
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:43 PM