Quantity in Hand for products RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created order for some of the products and created invoice for the same. Even I made the status of invoice as paid but the quantity in hand for those products remains same. How do I track the stock that how much is sold out and how many remaining.

Thanks & Regards,

Dyamanagowda K

Friday, December 26, 2008 9:13 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you may need to add an additional field to the product form that saves the initial inventory.  That will allow you to subtract the value or quantity used from the initial value and upate the inventory on hand field with the difference.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I took a look at the workflow for Invoice Product and you can update the Quantity on Hand of the Product by decrementing the value based on the Quantity of the Invoice Product.  Take a look at that approach, test it out and see if it works as expected. 

Begin by creating a workflow on the Invoice Product entity.  Select an update step and select Product.  Use the Operator decrement to reduce the field by the quantity of the Invoice Product.  I suggest saving your intial inventory amount to the new field you created and then just update the Quantity on Hand field.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have looked around a bit but haven't found much on the subject. 

I think you may need to create a workflow or plug-in that updates the quantity on hand based on the business practice.  I say this because the field is available for entry and manual change.  It doesn't appear to have any system calculation associated with it.  Most fields in CRM that are system calculated are either read-only or have a button to allow for manual override like the Opportunity.

If anyone is aware of anything different, please feel free to correct.

Friday, December 26, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

Quantity in hand is just a numeric field in products and it don’t update automatically on invoices or orders completion. If you want to track stock then you need customization. Workflows and Plug-in will help you in this regard.

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Thank u uMAR.
        I will try to do the same in workflow.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Hi uMar,
         As u suggested i created the workflow for the event invoiceproduct and selected to reduce the quantity on creation of invoice. but if the person modify the quntity later it wont get affect. to handle the same if i select the the option to reduce the quantity on modification of attribute then the quantity will be reduced but it is ambiguity . 

ex if the qty in hand is 100 on invoice create if the person select 10 qty then remaning qty will be 90.
    if he modify the qty later to 20 the qty in hand should be 80 where as it will show 70.

I hope you got to knw the problem pls provide the soln for the same.

thanks in advance,
    Dyamanagowda.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:17 AM
  • It sounds like you may need to add an additional field to the product form that saves the initial inventory.  That will allow you to subtract the value or quantity used from the initial value and upate the inventory on hand field with the difference.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I did the same thing, the problem is how I update that field. Because to save the old qty I created an attribute in the Invoice product entity. In workflow there is no option to update the fields in the same entity.

Thanks & Regards,

Dyamanagowda K

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:14 AM
  • I took a look at the workflow for Invoice Product and you can update the Quantity on Hand of the Product by decrementing the value based on the Quantity of the Invoice Product.  Take a look at that approach, test it out and see if it works as expected. 

Begin by creating a workflow on the Invoice Product entity.  Select an update step and select Product.  Use the Operator decrement to reduce the field by the quantity of the Invoice Product.  I suggest saving your intial inventory amount to the new field you created and then just update the Quantity on Hand field.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi  Donna Edwards

What you said is absolutely right its working, problem is how do u save the initial inventory and where?

I created a new attribute with name oldQty in invoice product and I wanted to update it once I change the qty in hand in products. But here there is no option to do changes in primary entity. How can I handle it?

Thanks & Regards,

Dyamanagowda K

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Great, I am glad it worked.

It seems to me that you would want to save the inventory information on the product record rather than the invoice product record as the product record is linked to the invoice product and there is only one product record vs several possible invoice product records. 

I would add a field to the product record and name it something like Beginning Inventory or Orginal Inventory or something like that and put your initial inventory quantity in that field.  You shouldn't need to update the field because it never changes value unless you add more inventory that what was originally available.  You can also check the available attributes in the Product entity as there might be an existing field that you can use and add to the form.

If you definitely want to udpate the invoice product then choose Invoice ID from the picklist values after you select the update step and the Invoice product form will open.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:44 PM
  •                       Thank u Donna Edwards, but if two different invoice linked to same product that point of time the beginning inventory value will be ambiguity . I hope you are getting what I want to say. 

I mean that if product P001 is having 100 in hand

Invoice   I001     use 10 product then beginning inventory will be saved as 10        qty in hand = 100 – 10 = 90

& Invoice    I002     use 20 product then beginning inventory will be updated to 20     qty in hand = 90-20 = 70

Now if u go and update the invoice I001 as 30 products then                               qty in hand = 70 + 20 – 30 = 60

Where as it should be 70 + 10 – 30 = 50.

This will work only if we have beginning inventory in Invoice product rather than product.

Thanks & Regards,

Dyamanagowda K

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Ok, I didn't realize you were making quantity changes to invoiced products.  I am not sure adding a field to the product form is a good solution because I think that is going to create tracking issues ie multiple product records trying to track one variable (quantity on hand).  It seems to me that you want to track this on the product form it is just a matter of figuring out the best method. 

You might need to add a new field to the Invoice Product that stores the 'Previous Quantity' and a workflow that watches for changes to the quantity field.  When the Quantity field is updated, first run the workflow that updates the Quantity on Hand by adding the original quantity back to the Quantity on Hand, run the second workflow or part 2 of the same workflow that deducts the new Quantity value from the Quantity on Hand, and finally, update the 'Previous Quantity' field with the new value.

I am not saying that the above will work and there are probably more efficient methods for applying these changes like using javascript on the Invoice Product form.  I do think that you may want to consider using the Product entity rather than using the Invoice Product to manage Quantity on Hand.

Best of luck with the solution you choose to implement.  There are several ways to achieve what you want to do and I am confident you will find the best fit for your scenario.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:50 PM