MP3 tags: cancelling automatic changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I disable the automated function in WHS2011 that creates images in my music folders and changes file tags ?
    I will now have to spend 2 days retagging my media library, my squeezeboxes are completely lost !!!! This is really a mess and a shame.

I think I will sell back my WHS box to come back to WHSv1 or AMAHI.....

A really disappointed user !

Regards

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Ben, this issue has already been flagged (twice!) on Microsoft Connect. There's a possible resolution in this Connect thread:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/675352/music-albumart-tags-get-overwritten-stop-please

However, there's been no response so far from Microsoft as to whether this fix will break something else, so try it AYOR.

If you've got an account on Microsoft Connect, please go and vote up this issue.

If you haven't got an account, then you won't be able to read the thread or see the fix description, so I'll post it here for your reference:

"The source of this behavior is a scheduled task in WHS 2011 called Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer. The description is as follows: "This task hosts the Windows Media Player ActiveX control to synchronize metadata attributes of files in the media library." Indeed, that is what is does--after having worked all day to replace my original ID3 tags, this task is running at this moment and destroying them all again. It is scheduled to run daily at 12:00 AM, whether or not a user is logged on, and run hidden, with the highest privileges."

The fix is to use the Task Scheduler (RDP into the Administrator's Desktop on the server to access the Task Scheduler) to disable this task. You'll find it in the Windows Server folder of the Task Scheduler Library. Reboot the server to complete the fix.

Friday, June 24, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hello,

Well when I try to access your link I get a message that the page does not exist... Can you access it ?
    I would really like to vote for that issue but I can not access this page unfortunately, though I have an account on connect... Strange.

I already did disable this task, my fear is that this task appears again after an update or something like that and screws up my media library !

Regards,

Benoit

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:06 PM
  • The page referenced above works for me.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Yes you are right sorry... I was loging with the wrong microsoft account !

I voted

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:58 PM