Backup does not run for Non-Administrators RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello

I have 2 Windows Vista Pro machines, each with the same backup configuration.

The daily user of 1 machine is not an admin, but they leave their machine on overnight, so the scheduled backup will run. However it fails, unless the logged on user is an admin.

Can I configure One Care to always run as Admin regardless of the actual user logged on? Or do I need to change some other security settings?

Thanks

Paddy

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hello, Paddy. I'm glad to read that we at least have what I'd consider a workaround. I can't tell you that the behavior you saw is the way it will always work, though I suspect that it is, based on your experience. There is nothing that I'm aware of to modify the way that backup would execute. Personally, it sounds like a design flaw in OneCare backup. If OneCare backup will run on the PC when nobody is logged in, it should also happily run when *any* user is logged in. I'll pass this on to the OneCare team.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:54 PM

All replies

• There is no setting for OneCare to run backup as admin.

I will leave this thread open as there are others who have OneCare running on systems that are used by limited users and I honestly don't recall if backup on the schedule is a problem in this scenario. A limited user cannot start a manual backup, but the automated one should run and work.

What happens if the user logs off of the machine at night before backup is scheduled? I assume that the user currently remains logged in...

What is the backup destination?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Stephen,

thanks for your reply.

SB >>

What happens if the user logs off of the machine at night before backup is scheduled? I assume that the user currently   remains logged in...

<<

The user does remain logged in. I will ask her to log out tonight.

SB >>

What is the backup destination?

<<

The Backup is a NAS, but I have checked that access is OK. The user can browse and manually save to the backup folder.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Ah, we may actually be facing a problem with the destination. There are a few threads open for NAS backup problems. You may be facing a variation of this. Do let me know what happens if the user logs out before the backup is scheduled to run.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Stephen

Everything worked last night, when the user was logged off, but the machine was switched on.

So does that means the backup will first try and run as the user logged on, then if no one is logged on run as admin.

Do you know if it can be forced to run as admin who ever is logged on. I do not want the logged on state of  users to affect whether the backup runs or not?

Thanks

Paddy

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hello, Paddy. I'm glad to read that we at least have what I'd consider a workaround. I can't tell you that the behavior you saw is the way it will always work, though I suspect that it is, based on your experience. There is nothing that I'm aware of to modify the way that backup would execute. Personally, it sounds like a design flaw in OneCare backup. If OneCare backup will run on the PC when nobody is logged in, it should also happily run when *any* user is logged in. I'll pass this on to the OneCare team.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:54 PM
  • I have now been running one-care with the users logged out for a while now, but the backup does not work all the time. Is there any way I can get at some log files to determine the problem? If not I think I will have to turn it off and use some other software to manage my backups?

Thanks Paddy

Monday, September 8, 2008 2:06 PM