none
Is there a simple design/edit and run/debug project template for HTML-files? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to design/edit and run/debug HTML-files (with Javascript) stored locally with a tiny HTTP-Server. AJAX is far too complex for my tasks. Is that possible with VS 2015 or an extension to it?

TIA.

Regards Jörg

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 11:18 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use "File" | "New" | "Web Site..." then in the New Project window select the node "Installed" | "Templates" | "Visual C#" or "Visual Basic". A web site built that way will use the files that exist in the relevant folders; if you add a file to the folder(s)  then VS will automatically consider it to be part of the web site. That supports creation of aspx files for ASP.NET but you can also create (plain) HTML files. You need to install the server first because my experience is that it is difficult to alter the project to use a different server after the project is created. By default, the project will use a development server provided by VS. One problem is that you can't debug JavaScript but that is where you can use extensions. I don't remember what extension I chose but try searching for JavaScript in VS extensions. When you are ready to upload the web site you can use the publish menu item for the project to deploy using FTP.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Edited by Simple Samples Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:35 PM Enter got pressed by mistake
    • Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jörg Debus Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Jörg,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>I would like to design/edit and run/debug HTML-files (with Javascript) stored locally with a tiny HTTP-Server.

Asp.net template in VS 2015 satisfies your requirement, as we know, Windows server is IIS, and HTML-files can run on iisexpress.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Friday, June 9, 2017 7:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jörg Debus Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:19 AM
  • Yes, you can use "File" | "New" | "Web Site..." then in the New Project window select the node "Installed" | "Templates" | "Visual C#" or "Visual Basic". A web site built that way will use the files that exist in the relevant folders; if you add a file to the folder(s)  then VS will automatically consider it to be part of the web site. That supports creation of aspx files for ASP.NET but you can also create (plain) HTML files. You need to install the server first because my experience is that it is difficult to alter the project to use a different server after the project is created. By default, the project will use a development server provided by VS. One problem is that you can't debug JavaScript but that is where you can use extensions. I don't remember what extension I chose but try searching for JavaScript in VS extensions. When you are ready to upload the web site you can use the publish menu item for the project to deploy using FTP.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Edited by Simple Samples Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:35 PM Enter got pressed by mistake
    • Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jörg Debus Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:27 PM