WHS Connector unable to register Remote Desktop Control RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    When I try to install WHS Connector on my desktop running XP SP3, process fail with error message:"Unable to register Remote Desktop Control". Setup program is able to see WHS (by name), locate and download Cnnector program but than it fails with above message.

I was able to complete process on HP laptop running Windows7 64 and all machines are connected to the same Qwest Actiontec Q1000 DSL modem/router.

Some of steps I already tried:
    1) I run Connector troubleshooter and had only three real concerns:
       a) The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
       b) Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
       c) A firewall product is found on the home computer
    2) I am able to access shared WHS folder http://server:55000 and run connector software from it but still no success (same error message). This also address a) above
    3) I succesfuly completed all steps from word document whs_connect_tshoot.doc (linked from results in tool kit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=95407&clcid=0x409) which answered concerns  mentioned in b) and c) above as well as firewall/ping questions:
    - Disabling firewalls on desktop and router did not help
    - From desktop I can ping WHS both by IP and WMS name
    - I can ping WMS from the router but only by IP
    - I can access both 55000 and 56000 WHS ports
    4) In the desktop' Advanced TCP/IP network setting, NETBios is set to default
    5) I tried to follow kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607 with no success

Help is greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:38 PM

Answers

• There was a bug with Windows XP SP3 causing this behavior.
    Please check this FAQ for a possible solution.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hello
    When I try to install WHS Connector on my desktop running XP SP3, process fail with error message:"Unable to register Remote Desktop Control". Setup program is able to see WHS (by name), locate and download Cnnector program but than it fails with above message.

I was able to complete process on HP laptop running Windows7 64 and all machines are connected to the same Qwest Actiontec Q1000 DSL modem/router.

Some of steps I already tried:
    1) I run Connector troubleshooter and had only three real concerns:
       a) The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
       b) Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
       c) A firewall product is found on the home computer
    2) I am able to access shared WHS folder http://server:55000 and run connector software from it but still no success (same error message). This also address a) above
    3) I succesfuly completed all steps from word document whs_connect_tshoot.doc (linked from results in tool kit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=95407&clcid=0x409) which answered concerns  mentioned in b) and c) above as well as firewall/ping questions:
    - Disabling firewalls on desktop and router did not help
    - From desktop I can ping WHS both by IP and WMS name
    - I can ping WMS from the router but only by IP
    - I can access both 55000 and 56000 WHS ports
    4) In the desktop' Advanced TCP/IP network setting, NETBios is set to default
    5) I tried to follow kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607 with no success

Help is greatly appreciated!

Are you able to establish a traditional Remote Desktop Connection to your server desktop?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Yes, I am.
    Also, when connected via Remote Desktop Connection, I am able to access internet from WHS
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:59 AM
  • I tried to ping both desktop and laptop from the WMS (via Remote Desktop Connection) and while laptop ping worked fine, I was not able to ping desktop.

Here is "pinging" summary matrix...

Devices:
    Router = Qwest Actiontec Q1000 DSL modem/router
    DT = desktop (Ethernet) WinXP SP3
    LT = laptop (wireless) Win7 x64
    WMS = server (Ethernet)

Table description: device in column tries to ping device in row;
    Not = not able to ping
    IP = pinged only by IP
    Name = pinged by both IP abd name

ping =>   Router     DT     LT        WMS
    ---------------------------------------------
    Router      IP           Not     IP        IP
    DT           IP           Name  Name   Name
    LT            IP           Not     Name   Name
    WMS        IP            Not    Name   Name
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:47 AM
  • There was a bug with Windows XP SP3 causing this behavior.
    Please check this FAQ for a possible solution.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Olaf
    Thank you for your reply...
    Looks like that bug is related to the kb article I mentioned in my original post under #5 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607 ) and that fix did not work for me.

I did not find two files from workaround you mentioned above - tscdsbl.ba_ and tscuinst.vb_ but I did locate expanded files tscdsbl.bat and tscuinst.vbs. Unfortunatelly executing these two files did not help.

I tried to find ba_ and vb_ files on my work XP machine but I again found only tscdsbl.bat and tscuinst.vbs. It is indicative that these files have the same time-stamp as ones on my home machine which tells me that files probably are not expanded from ba_ and vb_ during SP3 instalation but rather simply unpacked. Would these two files be customized during expansion or they would look the same as simply unpacked files? 

Also - it looks like all mentioned proposals are related to the inability to establish Remote access from XP machine to terminal server; in my case it is the opposite - server is not able to communicate back to the XP machine (actualy no other device on network can ping desktop).

I am logged as an administrator on my desktop - are there any bugs in XP that would mess-up admin permissions which would prevent installation?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    you are using Internet Explorer?
    Are there any Toolbars or Popup blockers besides the IE built in active?
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Hi Olaf
    As far as I can tell - no...
    I had some additional programs before but I removed them a while ago and currently use Windows standard support there...
    I only have Windows defender but It was turned off at the same time Windows Live OneCare was installed, which happen before I bought WHS.
    At that time McAfee was uninstalled so the only firewall/pop-up blocker currently running should be Windows/OneCare.
    I have Firefox installed as well but I deactivated pop-up blocker there and as far as I know there are no other blockers on it.

Thanks again for your time,
    Dan
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    did you try "regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll" on the command line already?
    What happens, if you download and install the latest Remote Desktop Client on your PC?
    Olaf
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Hello Olaf
    I installed the latest RDC but it did not help.
    Then I run regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll and it failed with error message:

"DIRegisterServer in mstscax.dll failed.
    Return code was: 0x80020009"

Do not know if it matters but my XP is Home, not Professional Edition and I think that Home Edition had less networking capabilities. SP3 update may already covered that...

Thanks,
    Dan
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    the Remote Desktop CLIENT has the same capabilities on Home and Pro versions.
    Could be, that some 3rd party software badly interacts here (I did read about a software called "Camstudio" doing so) or that RDP client installation is damaged. Did you try already installing the latest version of RDP client, as I recommended?

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Olaf - Yes, I installed Rev. 7.0 as you recommended but unfortunatelly it did not help.
    It is possible that installed program is causing this problem but it will be hard to debug numerous programs (I do not have Camstudio).
    Would it help if I run Windows in "safe" mode and then try to install WHS client software?
    Is there a way to force Window into booting-up in "safe" mode?

What would happen if I try to "re-install/repair" Windows or at least SP3?
    I know that the original Windows CD is out of date now and a number of updates are released since it was instaled but I am hoping that reinstaling it may owerride current setting and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    a repair install could eventually fix something - but only, if you prepare a Windows XP installation source with slipstreamed Service Pack 3. If you repair XP from a lower version CD, you will run into the situation (at least it was the case with IE 7 installed), that Windows asks for immediate reactivation, but doesn't allow to log in - and can not connect on the other side.
    But sometimes also a repair/inplace upgrade installation may take over the issues from a previously installed version, especially if a 3rd party software is involved, from which the settings are taken over.
    In this situation I would at least consider a fresh, clean install instead, maybe use a new disk/volume for this. Or give Windows 7 a chance if your hardware is good enough :-)
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:59 PM