Gaining access to WHS V1 Client Backups from Disk Images RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've tried researching this unique issue on the web through several WHS forums but have not have any luck so far. I upgraded to WHS 2011 a few months ago from my 3 drive WHS V1 install by buying all new drives and doing a file by file backup of all my shared folders and then copying it over to new shares on the WHS 2011 box. Just as insurance, I created Acronis True Image backups of all three drives from the WHS V1 system and have them stored on my WHS 2011 box. I just realized I need some crucial files from one of my PC's that was backed up through WHS V1. My questions are:

1. Is there a way to just access the raw backup content of the .dat files of the particular PC? I don't really care about folder structure or even file names. As long as I can extract out jpg's or doc files.

2. Is it possible to mount up all 3 images simultaneously and boot into WHS V1 through VMware or some other virtual O/S environment and browse the backups as I would have been able to when my WHS V1 box was running?

3. If not, can I simply restore to 3 new drives of the same capacity? I know the drives will have different hardware id's, but all I need is access to the client backups.

4. Would it be possible to install WHS V1 as a virtual O/S and then copy over just the backup database and content folders over?

I would really appreciate anyone's input on this. Thanks very much in advance!

• Edited by MakoWHS Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:57 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:53 AM

Answers

• There is no supported way to recover files from client backups other than on the server that backed them up. That said:

1. No.
    2. Yes, but it depends on you having a fairly good knowledge of configuring machines. Don't be surprised if your server bluescreens on initial boot; you will have pulled all the hardware out from under an XP era OS and replaced it with different components.
    3. This should work, since the identifier that Windows Home Server uses on disks is one it creates, not one baked into the drive firmware. If you boot on the same hardware as previously, you shouldn't even need to worry about a bluescreen.
    4. Not easily; the files on your disks aren't where it looks like they should be (D:\Shares\etc.), but rather are in <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. You will probably have to pull the database together from more than one disk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:22 AM
  • I thought I would update this thread for anyone that finds themselves in the same situation I was in. Bottom line is that option #4 worked for me perfectly. I installed WHS V1 using my OEM DVD on completely different hardware using a single 2TB drive since I knew the client backups took up less than that. After installing and updating the O/S, I went ahead and shut down the back up services as instructed in the Microsoft instructions. I then proceeded to copy over all contents of the backup database folder located under the drive extender "DE" folders on each of the three drives I had previously. Once I had all the contents copied over to the new server, I restarted the backup service and installed the connector software on my desktop. Surprisingly, the WHS V1 and WHS 2011 connectors didn't fight each other! I went ahead and logged into the console and was able to view all my files (thankfully!) from my backups dating back to 2010. I guess the bottom line is, if you have the "{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}" contents backed up somewhere else, you can load that folder up on a clean WHS V1 install anywhere and be able to view them without a problem.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:04 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to recover files from client backups other than on the server that backed them up. That said:

1. No.
    2. Yes, but it depends on you having a fairly good knowledge of configuring machines. Don't be surprised if your server bluescreens on initial boot; you will have pulled all the hardware out from under an XP era OS and replaced it with different components.
    3. This should work, since the identifier that Windows Home Server uses on disks is one it creates, not one baked into the drive firmware. If you boot on the same hardware as previously, you shouldn't even need to worry about a bluescreen.
    4. Not easily; the files on your disks aren't where it looks like they should be (D:\Shares\etc.), but rather are in <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc. You will probably have to pull the database together from more than one disk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:22 AM
  • I thought I would update this thread for anyone that finds themselves in the same situation I was in. Bottom line is that option #4 worked for me perfectly. I installed WHS V1 using my OEM DVD on completely different hardware using a single 2TB drive since I knew the client backups took up less than that. After installing and updating the O/S, I went ahead and shut down the back up services as instructed in the Microsoft instructions. I then proceeded to copy over all contents of the backup database folder located under the drive extender "DE" folders on each of the three drives I had previously. Once I had all the contents copied over to the new server, I restarted the backup service and installed the connector software on my desktop. Surprisingly, the WHS V1 and WHS 2011 connectors didn't fight each other! I went ahead and logged into the console and was able to view all my files (thankfully!) from my backups dating back to 2010. I guess the bottom line is, if you have the "{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}" contents backed up somewhere else, you can load that folder up on a clean WHS V1 install anywhere and be able to view them without a problem.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:04 PM