Dell PowerEdge T110 vs WHS-specific boxes? RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of buying the T110 and put together a WHS machine myself instead of buying a pre-installed WHS box from HP or Asus or Lenovo.

Could someone experienced with building own WHS give me the pros and cons of this approach? Do you think it's worthwhile or should I just buy a prebuilt box for convenience? In terms of cost: I have subscriptions for Microsoft software and won't have to pay additionally for the WHS software which otherwise will go unused.

My concern is whether the T110 will work with the coming Vail WHS. Then whether energy consumption & noise are significantly worse with the T110.

What I like about the T110 is most likely, I'll get better hardware for my money: processor, memory, etc. I won't swap drives too often (4 internal 2TB hard drives should be adequate for a while).

Thanks for your opinion.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• The T110 supports 64bit so Vail can be installed. The power supply is 305watt, which is less than most desktop psu's these days and they are quiet as there is only 1 system fan cooling the cpu heatsink. It will support up to 16gb ram and has an e-sata connection on the back plate. I think these are excellent machines for a home server build.

• Marked as answer by h8226 Friday, April 22, 2011 6:43 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:29 PM