none
Marking a thread solved without an answer RRS feed

• General discussion

• Would be great if there was a way to close a question without having to mark a post as the answer. This could be useful when either the asking user finds a solution himself/herself, or if the problem simply goes away. In that case, it would be wrong to mark his/her last post "it works now" as the answer.

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The thread type can be changed to discussion instead of question in cases like that. I doubt we'll see many OPs making that choice though.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:42 AM
  •  In that case, it would be wrong to mark his/her last post "it works now" as the answer.

There shouldn't be any harm in doing this. I don't think you get points if your own post is marked as answer.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:42 PM
  • There shouldn't be any harm in doing this. I don't think you get points if your own post is marked as answer.

AFAIK, you're right about that. I think they'll still get the 'achievement' badge for having a confirmed answer, but does that really matter, considering they'll most likely never come back? (EDIT: Now I think I might be wrong about the badge being awarded for marking your own post as an answer.)

I still say we should just get rid of points entirely. Too many people whine about them and/or create voteup accounts.

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hey, I'd rather keep and continue to increase mine :) I like them.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

The thread type can be changed to discussion instead of question in cases like that. I doubt we'll see many OPs making that choice though.

Ha, just learned something new. Thanks Mike.

I have hereby changed this discussion to a discussion. :-D

Happy Memorial Weekend to all of you!

Friday, May 23, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Ha, just learned something new. Thanks Mike.

I have hereby changed this discussion to a discussion. :-D

Happy Memorial Weekend to all of you!

Cheers, you're welcome. Hope you had yourself a nice long weekend as well.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:04 AM