"The most recent backup for *** was unsuccessful ... RRS feed

• Question

• Day 3 of my new WHS setup. For the second day, my main laptop has not backed up. On day 1 my wife's laptop backed up fine, so I was not concerned.

Today I've had a number of messages telling me tha thte backup of my laptop failed. The first I saw was a notification bubble that vanished too quickly for me to read ... it seemed to be suggesting I run Checkdisk /f but I didn't have time to see for sure.

Now on WHS consul, the Network Health button says "Status: At Risk". On clicking this, I get the following message:-

"The most recent backup for {machine name} was not successful. Click View Details on the backup entry to determine why the backup was not successful. Use Backup Now to try and back up again."

OK so first, I'm not really able to try a manual backup just yet, as I need to get on with work  ;-)

Second, I see no "View Details" option when I select my computer in the Computers and Backup tab. I wonder if I am not looking in the correct place?

Oh - to be clear ... there is a Details button (not View Details!) which shows a Backup Details dialog. It reports

Failure Reason for Volume C (Local Disc):
    No abort occurred

This is a shade cryptic for me  :-/

I don't want to post this as a bug until I'm sure I've looked where I should have  ;-)

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:26 PM

Answers

• I found the resolution in the comments on this post to Connect

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=258817

The feedback states:-

"I had the same problem backing up an XP Pro machine. I had disabled the following services, and after setting them back to manual startup backups are now working fine.

COM+ Event System
    COM+ System Application
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Volume Shadow Copy "

All of these were already set to manual for me, except Volume Shadow Copy, which was disabled. I reset to Manual and now my machine seems to be happily backing up!

Friday, March 16, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

• A more thorough check shows several others have the same unresolved issue. If I learn more I'll update this post.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 2:06 PM
  • I found the resolution in the comments on this post to Connect

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=258817

The feedback states:-

"I had the same problem backing up an XP Pro machine. I had disabled the following services, and after setting them back to manual startup backups are now working fine.

COM+ Event System
    COM+ System Application
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Volume Shadow Copy "

All of these were already set to manual for me, except Volume Shadow Copy, which was disabled. I reset to Manual and now my machine seems to be happily backing up!

Friday, March 16, 2007 4:04 PM
  • I'm experiencing this same issue.

But, all four services are set to 'manual'.

Jack R

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Maybe you have some other service turned off too?

I checked my event log on my client laptop. It showed the same error hapenning each time the backup failed ... so each failure had two error, WHS backup fail and this DCOM error:-

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{E579AB5F-1CC4-44B4-BED9-DE0991FF0623}

Maybe your event queue will show something similar?

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I’ve seen this message several times usually with a reasonable explanation (the wife stops the laptop backup ect).  Recently however after successfully backing up two different desktops and one laptop,  my daughters brand new HP laptop would totally crash about 61% into the backup (blue screen and all).  This is totally reproducible and needs to be TALQ and sent, accept my daughter left for the weekend and took her laptop.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:20 AM
  • I'm having the same problem backing up a XP Pro laptop...

How do I reset these services?

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:28 PM