locked
Remote Access password field not showing RRS feed

  • Question

  • After custom-building my own WHS, everything was working fine.  I pulled it off my workbench and put it in its home in the corner with a keyboard, mouse, network cable and power cable running out of it, but no monitor.  It booted up fine, and runs on the network. I can even browse shares through the subdomain.homeserver.com address.

    When I try to access the server through remote access, the password field is not showing. I've tried this on different computers, and tried rebooting the server.

    Here's a screencap of what I'm getting:
    http://www.themediaman.com/whssupport/no-pw-field.png

    Note that there's a script error showing in the bottom left. I've tried on different computers and clearing the cache, but no success.

    Any ideas on how to fix this?

     
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:09 PM

Answers

  • Solved:

    Turns out the BIOS battery is dead (pitfalls of using an older machine). When I moved the system I had to unplug it, and the date reset to 01/01/2000. Because of that, the website's remote access was behaving strangly. Probably an SSL issue with respect to the date.

    Once I connected by Remote Desktop to the server I found this out, reset the date/time, and the password field loads up now. 

    Thanks Olaf and Colin for your advice.  It was a big help.
    • Marked as answer by m3d1aman Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:46 PM

All replies

  • Hello,
    I have seen this before in postings, and the only outcome they found was a server reinstall.
    Before you do such thing, please check the event log of the server for errors and warnings around the time, this connection attempt is being done. (Log in to the server locally or via Remote Desktop, click Start/Run and type eventvwr go get the Event Viewer loaded (or get it from Control Panel/Administrative Tools on the WHS).
    Maybe there is some misconfiguration in IIS or some other component is no longer functioning and this may reveal itself there.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:16 PM
    Moderator
  • I'd be a bit upset if I had to reinstall just as I finally finish the final step of setting it up.  I'll hook it back up to a monitor and take a look at the event log and let you know what I find.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Hi,
    No need to hook a monitor up, just RDP into the server, and look from there. Also, if you have the Toolkit installed, then there is the option in the Console on any Client, to read and/or copy the logs.

    Colin

    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:24 PM
    Moderator
  • Solved:

    Turns out the BIOS battery is dead (pitfalls of using an older machine). When I moved the system I had to unplug it, and the date reset to 01/01/2000. Because of that, the website's remote access was behaving strangly. Probably an SSL issue with respect to the date.

    Once I connected by Remote Desktop to the server I found this out, reset the date/time, and the password field loads up now. 

    Thanks Olaf and Colin for your advice.  It was a big help.
    • Marked as answer by m3d1aman Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:46 PM