Do WHS backup open DBs on client machines RRS feed

• Question

• On my working-machine (Win 7 prof.) are applications based on MS SQLServer 2005 Express Edition. MS SQL is working as a service, so all DB´s are open at WHS-backup-time. Do I need to backup the MS-SQL-Databases at first (e.g. SQL Server Management Studio Express) and than backup the client to WHS, or is WHS capable backing up open SQL-Databases?

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:29 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses Volume Shadowcopy Services for backups, so it can obtain a consistent "point in time" snapshot of the state of a disk for backup. As a result, files that are open may not be backed up with their most recent contents, or (possibly, depending on the software) at all if the file is new.

This is not uncommon with databases (i.e. other backup tools have this issue as well); you frequently need to use tools which will back the database up to storage thatwill be backed up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 16, 2010 11:19 AM
  • AFAIK you can not schedule backups or other maintenance tasks for SQL server 2005 Express edition (using Management Studio) since it lacks SQL agent. Please read post #4 in this thread for ways to schedule a backup and other maintenance tasks.

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:53 PM