Conference host - PBX or OCS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

OCS 2007 looks alot of fun and I'm starting to get together the list of stuff I need to tie it into our Avaya CM 3.1 in order to  hopefully be able to drop Webex as a provider and do the whole lot in house.

What I'm not understanding at this point is which component is "hosting" the audio conference. Are the incoming calls from conference parties being held in (and conferenced together by) the PBX, or does the PBX need to forward all the calls from the relevant incoming DNIS to the Mediation / AV conf. server ?

Thanks

Pete

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Pete,

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is the OCS AV server will be handling the all of the calls. Your PBX will need to forward the falls to the A/V Conferencing server.

Monday, May 7, 2007 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete,

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is the OCS AV server will be handling the all of the calls. Your PBX will need to forward the falls to the A/V Conferencing server.

Monday, May 7, 2007 6:48 PM

• Hi Thom,

I am looking at something similiar - could you point me in the direction of where I might find out how I can configure a PBX to forward calls to the A/V bridge on OCS or how I configure it in such a way that people can dial - in directly to the bridge?

Thanks

Rory
    Monday, March 3, 2008 6:21 PM
  • AFAIK there is no such "Audio bridge" feature implemented in OCS.

Audio / video conferencing server means, if an audio call with 2 participants is present, it is a P2P call and if a 3rd participant is added to that session -> the call is moved to the A/V conf server role, that is responsible for delivering media (audio and/or video) to the participants (in case of a PBX user, only audio of course). It is not possible to create a "meeting room" in OCS, where users can dial into, to have an audio conference with participants both from PBX and OCS. But please correct me if I am wrong.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 6:35 PM

• Richard,

Maybe you could clarify your point a little more for me.

I was thinking about a scenario where someone is out of the office, and only has access of a cell phone or a land line and wishes to join a meeting with audio only. Is it possible for them to 'dial in' to the conference?

Thom mentioned that you could dial in to the PBX and have that forward the call and I was wondering if there is any documentation as to how I might configure of setup OCS to do this?

Thanks

Rory
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:34 AM
  • From my best knowledge it is not possible to dial into a conference (from PSTN.)

The other thing (a PBX forwarding the call into OCS) could simply be the fact, that it is possible to ring first the user's desk phone, and after some ringings, the PBX can forward the call into OCS, and OCS can ring that particular user, if it's number is also administered in OCS / AD. But again, it is not possible to reach a "conference room" from a phone call, as it has no phon-number information.

Right now, the only possibility is to federate with ACP providers, that can give you such a functionality.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:21 PM
  •  Thom Foreman wrote:

Hi Pete,

I am at this point in the lab and am looking for some instruction on how to forward calls to the A/V Confrencing server. 

Can you also clarify that a PBX user CAN in fact call in to a confrence for AUDIO ONLY confrencing or do I have to figure out how to do this myself?

Thanks!

Brian Furphy

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:22 AM
  •  

Depending on how you have it setup you can call into a conference for audio only, but not the way you traditionally do. You call a participent (or presenter) of the conference and they add you to the conference (usually before the conference starts).

btw...you're name isn't seriously Brian "Furphy" is it?

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for the note!

BTW - Yes, that is my real name.

I just finished rolling out OCS to a group of 12,000+ users; my team and I are very impressed with the Administration features used for hosted OCS.  OCS hosting is a great way to get to use the product and not have to understand every little thing about the technology.  OCS Hosting is also a great compliment to Exchange Hosting because it adds pres. detection and secure audio, video and text chat.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:27 AM