Window XP DVD burning utility problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the simple XP utility to burn/copy docs to a blank disc.   Using either the drag-and-drop method or the "send to >" method all goes well, (shortcuts to docs appear in the DVD drive window (drive E:) until I select the option in the window to burn them to the DVD.    The wizard prompts me to insert a blank disc (I do so) but when I hit "next" I get an error message "disc full" or "not a writeable disc".  If I then close the window and re-open it, the file shortcuts are gone but if I try to move them there again I get another error:  "problem copying file: re-try/cancel".  This happens over and over again.   My laptop mfg has suggested everything from "re-install XP" to "that app is not supported", "use SONIC", "try CD's instead of DVD's etc. etc.   Is there a fix or workaround for this or is it actually never going to work.  SONIC burns the docs fine so I know it's not the drive that's causing the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

HP Pavillion dv6000t  (3 months old)

XP MCE SP2

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:05 AM

All replies

• You're problem is'nt unique. The xp burner utility tends to be a bit pernickerty with certain disc brands and you would have to experiment with different makes to see what will work and that costs money. Good quality silver backed ones are generally the best choice although my mate swears by a cheapo make cd/rw discs for under a fiver off the web which apparently work fine for him but with the same disc I, like you get various error messages  which are not even consistent eg. disc is full when its empty, its not a rw disc or no disc in drive or it goes through the motions of burning but there's nothing on the disc. Using a well known burning programme the same disc burns w/o any problem. I as you can now guess don't use  the MS utility. Alternatively with the pc only 3 months old why should you have the hassle, take it with the discs that do'nt work with xp utility back to the retailer under the guarantee. You bought it and it does'nt work properly although you'll probably get a similar answer. Forget it and get a good burning software, there are even trial versions on the web which can be used albeit in a reduced format before you decide to buy. Incidently mine is a Packard Bell and although helpful they did'nt have an answer either.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.   I posted this question in a few other forums and  received several responses from folks informing me that the utility will not work with DVD discs, but should work fine with a CD's.  I haven't tried using it with that media yet but it looks like that may be the answer.  This will be fine with me since I'll only be using it occasional for relatively small files and docs.   Most of the time I just move stuff to my flash drive.  (BTW: The prices of these nifty little devices are now commonly $20-30 for the 1 gig "flavor" here in the U.S. at some of the bigger office "box stores".)   Thanks again....

Thursday, February 1, 2007 3:07 AM