Cannot Backup XP PC RRS feed

• Question

• In the past few days I've developed a problem with a connection between my XP PC and the WHS. I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it twice, I have uninstalled all recent updates. I have set it up to backup my c and D drive. The only hardware change has been to my router, from a Linksys to a D-Link (my setup is the D-Link is my router for the XP and Win7 PCs with a Linksys switch in another room connecting the WHS and a NDAS to the router).

I can access the WHS HD files through the Windows Explorer just like any other file but it will not make a daily backup of my C or D drive. It will stay in "backup in progress for over 10 minutes before finally giving up.

I have 2 fail details as: "The network connection between the computer and the server was lost. No reconnection within tmeout period". And I have 8 fail details as: "The computer failed to take snapshot of the volume for backup". And when it finally gives up it tells me to run a chkdsk which I have run. There were some errors that were corrected.

I get the same results if I just try to backup just the C alone or D alone, I even connected the Linksys router back to the WHS and the XP PC and it still will not backup.

If it is my router how come I can see my WHS files on the XP PC but it cannot backup? If the problem is between the router and the WHS for backing up, where should I look within the router setup? I used some of the original router's setting in the new router but since they are of different manufacturers so the wording and specs are very different.

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:58 AM

All replies

• Although you mention a C and D drive, so probably a desktop over ethernet...it's worth asking if you are performing the backup over Wi-fi, or over an ethernet connection?  If it's over wi-fi then it might be that theconnection is timing out. 

Could even be a problem with the ethernet cable, might want to try a new cable.

Have you run chkdsk on both your client PC, and your WHS drives..  could be that there is a problem with the WHS drive that is preventing the backup.

You might even have corruption in your WHS backup folder, at which point your only option might be to blow away your backup folder on WHS, instructions on how to do that can be found here:

http://www.clarkezone.net/default.aspx?id=532d3d54-b935-40e7-b020-beb0ca1d653a

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:06 PM