genuine cd got currupted so how to reinstall the windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

While reinstalling windows xp home edition I guess that cd got currupted which was provided along with my laptop. So could u please help me regarding the same thing. My laptop doesnt read to any pirated cds. So how to reinstall the same windows.

I do have another genuine cd for win xp sp3 pro but it has no keys with me.

So what are the options to fix my problem? Are there any ways if i install windows xp professional sp3 and use those keys which were provided for windows xp home sp2 version? is it possible or there are some other ways to fix the same?

• Changed type malkani20 Friday, March 19, 2010 9:45 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hello malkani20,

Your first post said your reinstallation of XP Home went badly, possibly due to a corrupted CD.  You asked "how to reinstall the same windows?"  Then you went on to ask if you could install XP Pro but use the keys for XP Home, and if there were other ways to "fix the same."

Since you cannot install XP Pro using XP Home keys, I suggested the "other ways" which is to purchase the recovery discs from the (as yet unnamed) laptop manufacturer.

In your second post you expressed that you were not 100% satisfied with that suggestion, and seemed to be disappointed in me not knowing that you are using an HP notebook computer.

Did you contact HP support, and did they tell you whether recovery discs are available for your HP laptop?  If they are not available, another possible source would be www.restoredisks.com

If they cannot help you, Plan C would be to acquire or borrow a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP Home Edition installation CD that comes with the systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensing kit.  This is the disc that has "For distribution with a new PC only" and "For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC" engraved in the upper left quadrant of the hologram.  This disc will accept the product key that is on your HP computer's CoA.  Be sure to enter the product key on your CoA and not the CoA that came with this acquired or borrows disc.  When it comes time to activate after installation, you may have to activate by phone.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:11 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:51 AM

All replies

• Hello malkani20,

Your first, best option is to contact the manufacturer of the computer (if a name-brand computer) and request to purchase recovery discs.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • If I wanted to purchase a new recovery disk then why the ____ i had to come hear to waste my time just for the sake to hear that i will have to  request to my laptop provider to provide me with the new recovery discs?

yeah ofcourse i use a branded notebook and that is provided BY HP i guess u know whose HP 

get a life man :X

and is the a real solution?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hello malkani20,

Your first post said your reinstallation of XP Home went badly, possibly due to a corrupted CD.  You asked "how to reinstall the same windows?"  Then you went on to ask if you could install XP Pro but use the keys for XP Home, and if there were other ways to "fix the same."

Since you cannot install XP Pro using XP Home keys, I suggested the "other ways" which is to purchase the recovery discs from the (as yet unnamed) laptop manufacturer.

In your second post you expressed that you were not 100% satisfied with that suggestion, and seemed to be disappointed in me not knowing that you are using an HP notebook computer.

Did you contact HP support, and did they tell you whether recovery discs are available for your HP laptop?  If they are not available, another possible source would be www.restoredisks.com

If they cannot help you, Plan C would be to acquire or borrow a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP Home Edition installation CD that comes with the systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensing kit.  This is the disc that has "For distribution with a new PC only" and "For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC" engraved in the upper left quadrant of the hologram.  This disc will accept the product key that is on your HP computer's CoA.  Be sure to enter the product key on your CoA and not the CoA that came with this acquired or borrows disc.  When it comes time to activate after installation, you may have to activate by phone.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:11 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:51 AM