Windows Live OneCare Backup Restore Tool will not finish installing. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had to reformat my computer cause it died on me, upon doing so I obviously lost everything, well everything is on my trusty external hard drive, but i cant get to it. When i try to download the backup tool i get this:

Could not download installation files

An error eccurred while downloading required files for installing OneCare. Please check your network connection and then click Try again. If the problem continues;  restart your computer, and then try installing OneCare again.

Error ID: 0017-80070003

I have restarted, made sure all Firewalls are completely off, nothing stopping anything, it just says "Copying.." for 2 seconds then goes to that error when trying to do the final install. HELP, I need my backup for school!!

-Jesse from Ontario Canada

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:07 PM

All replies

• I missed your message for a while, since you changed it to a comment rather than leave it as a question.

0017 is a connectivity error. And the second part of the error suggests a problem with the Windows Update temporary download location on your PC. See this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070003

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:34 PM