Email from Live Search..."We have a problem...again" RRS feed

• Question

• show details
     Nov 19 

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Live Search Technical Support.

We have done the cached page removal in ID 106589. The changes will be reflected after 2 business days.

Thanks,

Live Search Technical Support

Note: This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this mail.

Above is the response that I received from Live Search after noticing that my URLs were being published incorrectly 6 weeks ago.  Supposidly was the "broken submission portal" problem that we were all told had been fixed.  My URLs reappeared incorrectly again yesterday in the index.  I was asked to be patient and I was.  They are wrong again.  So I notified Live Search, had the problem escallated and below is the response.  It is a duplicate to the email I received last month in which Live Search "has just discovered a problem"  Why don't you shut down the submission portal until you figure out how to index a URL correctly?  Isn't that what a search engine does?

Does anyone from MS read these threads.  If so, what do you think of these questions and what is your response?

Thank you for contacting Live Search technical support. 

We understand that you are having a problem right now with your site < a) not being indexed in Live Search or b) not being found in Live Search when looking for it using key words>.

We are aware of this problem, and it is not affecting your site alone.  We discovered an error in the programming that submits URL's to our search engine and we are in the process of fixing it.  In the next few days you will be to go to the site http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx and submit your URL again.  We will process the site through our anti-spam and content filters and include the site and rank it appropriately.  The entire process should take about 2 weeks to complete, but may take longer depending on the number of pages in your domain, the content, how the page was written, and other factors.

We thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue, and invite you to contact us again if your site is still not indexed in our results after 2 weeks.  You can check if your site is indexed by going to http://search.live.com, and typing "site:<site name>" into the search bar.  You don't need quotes, and you should replace <site name> with the name of your site or URL that you are checking.

Thanks again for contacting Live Search support.

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:32 AM

Answers

• I am sorry you had this issue occur.  We had a server issue last week and are looking into a fix for the problem.   We will have this issue corrected soon. I hope to update on your other issue later this week.   Cheers.

Jeremiah

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:03 AM

All replies

• When did you receive this response? Was it recently or 6 weeks ago?

We understand that you are having a problem right now with your site < a) not being indexed in Live Search or b) not being found in Live Search when looking for it using key words>.

We are aware of this problem, and it is not affecting your site alone.  We discovered an error in the programming that submits URL's to our search engine and we are in the process of fixing it.

Thanks Fish Texas

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Fish,

Received the email yesterday (Sunday 12/02).  It is almost a duplicate response to the original email I received six weeks ago.

B.   

Monday, December 3, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Thanks for the fast response:

That's an encouraging email. At least they realize the problem is on multiple sites and they are addressing it. Only my index page is showing in the serps right now...however the indexing has increased a little. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon so we can get back in the serps.

Fish Texas

Monday, December 3, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Please keep us up to date with how this works out. I've been having a lot of problems as well.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Just resent an email to Live Search support supervisor for an update.  Usually hear from them quickly but my last email from yesterday has gone unanswered.  Asked for fresh info, not copy of last month's explanation.  If I can't get a straight answer, there's plan B.  Will keep you posted.  B 

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Sorry guys for the long turn around in responding to this issue.  I am looking for an appropriate owner of this issue.  I will do what I can do to help connect you with real help.  

Be patient with me will I track down a solution for you.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Jeremiah,

Got a new user name because deleting cookies to fix log in issue here keeps me locked out.  No matter.  Wanted to let you guys know that I just received another Email from  Microsoft Global Escalalations Team in regard to this issue.  I have made them aware that their responses are being posted here and with "another prominent internet news site".  I was asked to once again furnish them with specific info in regard to the issue and am waiting for their response.  I will let you know what they have to say.  Have you found "an appropriate owner of this issue" and heard anything new?

Thanks 

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Forgot to mention...Had Webmaster Tools yesterday but today I get a "failed to verify ownership" message.  WHAT THE HECK!  

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:18 PM
  • I am sorry you had this issue occur.  We had a server issue last week and are looking into a fix for the problem.   We will have this issue corrected soon. I hope to update on your other issue later this week.   Cheers.

Jeremiah

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Jeremiah,

Thanks for the info.  Between the three issues I've posted about: URLs appearing incorrectly as result of broken portal, lack of response from Live Search and now the bait and switch with the Tools I'm beginning to lose the faith.  Sure would be nice if something worked for more than 3 days.  If you figure out how I can get the Tools back, please let me know.  Thought maybe I should delete my site from Tools, re-enter same address to get new verification meta string and start again.  What do you think?

Thanks,

bb

Sunday, December 9, 2007 12:27 PM
  •  

Jeremiah, I know you say Microsoft is working on these problems but it's getting beyond ridiculous.

We have links in from some of the highest rated sites on the net and hundreds of pages indexed by others.  As of today a search of promomanagers returns 5+ pages of links to our site but nowhere is our actual site.   This is incredible to me.

What exactly IS the problem?   We're running ads for two weeks linking to our home page among other pages, we can see your bot visiting the site 5-10 times a day and as of right now our site has vanished AGAIN from your search.

Who do we have to contact to get an actual answer?  This is an utter disgrace.   We're listed in several key internet directories, have many great backlinks and your superlative search engine can't even discern the terms www.promomanagers.com should point to www.promomanagers.com

Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Come to think of it, the webmaster controls are not even showing several of the high ranking inbound links. Some appear instantly, others still aren't here weeks later...business.com and others.

leeds promotional products
    Monday, December 10, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Still waiting to hear from GLOBAL ESCALATION about our "little problems" with index, SERPS, submissions, URLs, links, etc.  You know, all those little bothersome services that people expect a search engine to do.  NO RESPONSE YET.    Anyone out there from Microsoft have anything they would like to tell all of us pesky little people who expect something at Live Search to work properly?
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Fish, ET AL,

Speaking of sharing ideas,
    Here's how fast and reliable SERP updating works on "another" major search engine:

Microsoft's Live Search Broken Again

... Microsoft's Live Search technical team admitted Sunday afternoon that its URL... is once again incorrectly publishing URLs in its search results index. ...
    www.google.com/base/a/2953513/D5617347428396364573 - Note this

Web Reports's items  >  News and Articles

In response to an inquiry submitted by a web site owner, Microsoft's Live Search technical team admitted Sunday afternoon that its URL submission portal is once again incorrectly publishing URLs in its search results index.

In mid November, Live Search openly admitted to many web site owners that problems with the software that publishes its search results had led to a variety of problems including missing, duplicated and incorrectly puplished URLs.  Owner of Solenarodesigns.com, a site that sells custom made horse hair jewelry informed Live Search that an incorrect URL had been associated with its home page, leading customers to a 404 error (web page does not exist).  After repeated correspondence with Live Search technicians, it was determined that the erronious URL was a result of a problem with the search engine's URL submission portal.

Early Sunday morning, the home page for solenarodesigns.com reappeared in Live Search...once again with an incorrect URL.  Several emails were exchanged between the site owner and Live Search and once again the error has been blamed on the submission portal.  The admission was sent to the owner of the site in the following email:

Hello xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Live Search technical support. 

We are aware of this problem, and it is not affecting your site alone.  We discovered an error in the programming that submits URL's to our search engine and we are in the process of fixing it.  In the next few days you will be to go to the site http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx and submit your URL again.  We will process the site through our anti-spam and content filters and include the site and rank it appropriately.  The entire process should take about 2 weeks to complete, but may take longer depending on the number of pages in your domain, the content, how the page was written, and other factors.

We thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue, and invite you to contact us again if your site is still not indexed in our results after 2 weeks.  You can check if your site is indexed by going to http://search.live.com, and typing "site:<site name>" into the search bar.  You don't need quotes, and you should replace <site name> with the name of your site or URL that you are checking.

Thanks again for contacting Live Search support.

When asked to comment on the issue, the site owner noted that the explainatory email sent to him Sunday was a duplicate of the email he recieved in November when the URL problem was first discovered.  "I have been a strong supporter of Live Search but there comes a time when you start to lose the faith.  This is one of those times." stated the site owner.

AND...

If you enter search term "microsoft's Live Search broken again"  most of the posts to this forum for this thread are are in "their" SERPS already.  Amazing how easy they make it look.  Wonder how quickly the major internet news sites will pick up and post this story?  Evidently faster than Live Search will.  Just wanted to share "ideas and report issues".  At least someone out there is listening.  Unfortunately it's not Microsoft!!!     

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:26 AM