How many drives has new extender code been tested to? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I ask, because I currently run with 19 hard drives on WHS (all critical data backed up, mostly read only). 14 drives in a FC-SATA drawer, and an additional 5 SATA drives. I would like to see some documentation on the architectural changes that were made in drive extender, if possible. Currently, C-drive is a huge bottleneck on any write throughput-intensive tasks, which is why WHS has been delegated to AV storage only.

Monday, June 2, 2008 12:12 AM

Answers

•  

Windows Home Server has been tested on multiple double digit hard drive systems with both internal and external (USB, Firewire and eSata) attached.  The home server team has periodically tested machines with over 20 hard drives, and regularly tests on multiple machines with 10+ hard drives.  We also regular test systems with over 1 million files of varying types, and just completed a recent test of a machine with over 2 million files.
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• I doubt Microsoft will release internal test data, but I can tell you that I've tested it with up to four drives. (Two internal, two external.)

As for architecture, if you're trying to ask whether the system drive is still the "landing zone", then yes it is. You should see improved write performance, however. I'm seeing write throughput with moderate numbers of moderate sized files (20+ GB of 20-40 MB files) in the range of 12-14 MB/s.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Sounds like its still going to be ideal then to do a hardware RAID C-Drive.....I've tried this before, and gotten signficantly improved performance (50MB/s+ writes). Unfortunately, the real fix is WS08..which won't happen for a while. WS08 has 2-3x better filecopy performance with Vista SP1 clients.

As an aside, Server 2008+Tversity makes a great HD video streaming server.....if only the nifty WHS plugins would work..

Monday, June 2, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  

Windows Home Server has been tested on multiple double digit hard drive systems with both internal and external (USB, Firewire and eSata) attached.  The home server team has periodically tested machines with over 20 hard drives, and regularly tests on multiple machines with 10+ hard drives.  We also regular test systems with over 1 million files of varying types, and just completed a recent test of a machine with over 2 million files.
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Way to prove me wrong and release that internal test data, Todd!
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:28 PM