none
Microsoft Money, Windows 10, and Importing an OFX file RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I got Money to work under Windows 10. I tried importing an OFX file to update my bank accounts and the program crashes. Every time. The only way I can recover is to delete Money, reinstall (SUNSET edition, BTW), and open my Money backup file.

So...I can access my files, I can add entries, but I can not import OFX files to reconcile my files with my bank data. Solutions?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:36 PM

All replies

• I am having the same issue and would love some help! I've had MS Money for years and really don't want to delete the file and reinstall,etc....I've heard switching to Quicken is probably going to be the end result and I"d like to bypass that option if at all possible as well. I am very comfortable using Money and really don't want to switch
    Friday, July 31, 2015 12:37 PM
  • same for me :(
    Friday, July 31, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Apply this patch:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/tag/mnyob99-dll-patch/

Things will work like a charm, again!

Good Luck

Dave

• Proposed as answer by BrianMoffitt Friday, July 31, 2015 5:08 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 1:02 PM
  • how did you make it work under Window's 10?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Dave

This fix is exactly what I needed. From all the discussion around the patch it sounds like in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Microsoft released a patch to the OS which negated the need for a patched DLL.  However that fix wasn't included in Windows 10 so you need to patch the DLL to resolve the issue.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Brian

Friday, July 31, 2015 5:10 PM
  • I have the same problem. Downloaded the dll patch for my version of Money but don't know how to install it.

When double clicking it, get cannot run in Dos. Can you plse provide detailed steps for installation? Thanks Best regards

Bob

Friday, July 31, 2015 6:44 PM
  • You need to replace the original mnyob99.dll file with the patched version.  The location of the file may depend on whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.  The article above tells where the file was found using the default installation options for the 32-bit OS.  For the 64-bit OS, replace the ProgramFiles folder with ProgramFiles (x86) folder.

In order to see the mnyCore folder, you will need to, at least temporarily, deselect the Folder Option of hiding system files (and probable also select the option to show Hidden Files).

Ron

Friday, July 31, 2015 7:54 PM
  • I finally realized that I had to show all hidden files but I did not know about that second box that needed to be uncheked.

I even reinstalled Money but now, thanks to you, everything works fine, my bank files and all are being processed.

Thanks a million. Have a nice week-end. I know I will now.

Best regards

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Thank you for the link and info. I've tried Quicken and hated it.  Glad I don't have to switch!
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Gentlemen, I have finally discovered a very quick fix for this...and it works instantly.   I am using Microsoft Money Plus.   When I downloaded the new Windows 10 on 8-1-2015, I got an error saying that I need IE6.   Here is the simple fix...  

After much searching I have found this works for me

Make the following registry change....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    "Version"="9.11.10240.0"  (originaly: 9.11.10240.16384)

It's that simple.

• Proposed as answer by RB928 Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:01 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 2:20 AM
  • It was not simple for me.  The registry change did open MS Money but it immediately crashed (stopped working).
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 2:51 AM
  • Perfect, that worked for me thanks!
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 3:10 AM
  • Perfect. Thanks a lot! Had exactly the same problem after Windows 10 was installed. This solution worked for me within a few minutes of reading this fix. Am using MsMoney 2003. Spent in fact most time on trying to find 'regedit' for the registry change and to drill down to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer].
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:24 AM
  • Help - I don't have a Wow6432Node\Microsoft. I simply have Internet Explorer directly under SOFTWARE. Anyway, changing that version number didn't help at all.  Getting desperate...

• Edited by MaggieP43 Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:44 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:44 PM
  • My version is Money Deluxe V 12 (2004) and I don't even want any internet connection..have never used downloads for Money. Still told I need IE6...and it never had that under Windows 7 anyway...I had  latest IE but always used Chrome or AOL browsers...am at a total loss now. It is listed as compatible...but...

Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Me too. I am waiting for Quicken 2016 then I am going to convert. Too bad, I've had a version of money since 1996!!!

Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:33 PM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 10.   I was getting the IE6 warning. Here is a very quick, easy solution. I have had NO issues with the fix. This will take you 1 minute to correct the problem:

This is a quick registry change...

"Version"="9.11.10240.0"  (originally: 9.11.10240.16384)

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:11 PM
  • Make the following registry change....

"Version"="9.11.10240.0"  (originaly: 9.11.10240.16384)

It's that simple.

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:12 PM
  • If it didn't work, then save your backup files (wherever you have those for MS Money) which is a .mbf file.    Put those backup files into a new folder.  Now delete the old version of MS Money.   Do a restart on the computer.  Reload the MS Money software. Once you reload the software, then make the registry change.   Let me know if this works.

Of course, after you begin to run the program, go to the "tools" drop-down menu, then go to "settings", and then "backup settings" and make sure that the MS Money program knows where to find your old backup file.

• Edited by SonataQ14 Monday, August 3, 2015 9:21 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 9:19 PM
  • Thank you!
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Same Here.....

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Hot Damn it worked!!!!! Thank God, I hate Quicken...Why the hell doesn't Microsoft come up with a new money program?
    • Edited by kboy24 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:32 PM
  • Tried several times, including different sequences. Doesn't work. Message when closes is now unknown rather than IE 6.

BTW, CCleaner and 10 App manager show Money as 101 gig!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:21 PM
  • AceMoney does basically what Money does, but it's ugly and harder to use. However, if you don't want an Intuit product... 
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Thanks! That was incredibly easy, and I'm someone who usually isn't comfortable messing with that stuff. Works like a charm.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:01 PM
  • Worked great!  Using Money 2004 Std Version

Opened right up, no issues so far.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:49 PM
  • This happened to me with Money (as with several other programs) after installing Windows 10. I also had the problem that others discussed with the IE error message. (2 different issues). The registry edit worked and solved the IE problem. However, the crashing caused by importing the OFX file was solved by reinstalling Money Plus. So far, so good.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Very frustrating, because others have succeeded. Registry edit appears to have solved the IE issue. Removed Money Sunset (which is labeled Money Plus on program list), ran CCleaner to fix registry and remove files. Rebooted. Installed Money Premium 2005 (which I own). It will not run with out the password. Don't know what that is. Last use of Money was without password, and when I launch 2005 from the current backup it still needs a password. Installed Money Sunset, which removed 2005. Still crashed, seemingly arbitrarily.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:18 PM
  • After you installed Sunset, did you patch mnyob99.dll?

Ron

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:27 PM
  • This has worked for me. I tried a different way before, but by changing the version going through WOW6432....etc it worked straight away. No crashes yet, but never say never!!!
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Thank you, finally works! Sooner or later Money will be dead, and I've looked extensively at 5 other applications. If all you want is to track and reconcile bank and credit card accounts, nothing even comes close.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Thank you so much.  Downloading that fix and this helped me find what I needed.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:59 PM
  • I finally got it to work by also changing the registry value in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]!! Also had to change every level within [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer] to "9.11.10240.0".
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:33 PM
  • But does it open it's opx files when ya download them?
    Friday, August 7, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Absolutely awesome. . . thanks soooo much. . . 
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Regedit worked for me

Many thanks for a quick easy soloution

Saturday, August 8, 2015 1:39 PM
  • You Sir are a life saver. Thank you and well done
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 7:41 PM
  • But does it open it's opx files when ya download them?

I'm using the UK version, but I've found the following: the reg edit fixes the startup issue relating the internet explorer. It won't import extracts from online banking, says something is running in background. Tried the various versions of the DLL file suggested in the wordpress patch earlier in this thread, both of which resulted in a prompt to reinstall from scratch - I think that's because they are designed for the USA version, not the UK.

I didn't want to re-install from scratch, so I dug out a copy of the core files that I took when I first installed it, and copied over the mnyob99.dll (which ought not to have changed...). This did the trick. All imports now working fine. Happy!

Hope this helps.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 10:36 PM
  • I don't see a Version under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

Instead I see Version Vector with 3 values: Default, IE and VML. IE is set to 9.0000 and I still get the message about needing IE6.

I changed it to 9.11.10240.0 as indicated above, but no difference, I still get the message.

Is anyone else seeing Version Vector with the value 9.0000? If so, have you been able to address the problem?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 11:34 PM
  • My bad. I did not look on the right hand pane instead in the tree below Internet Explorer. I reset the Version Vector, then set the value of version to 9.11.10240.0 and it works!

Thanks.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 11:53 PM
  • Installing the mnyob99-dll-patch stabilized Money for me as well. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:43 AM
  • Hi,   I have also had the same issue with Internet Explorer incompatibility. The registry fix detailed above fixed the Internet Explorer issue however my mistake was to install Money Plus Sunset Deluxe before reading this thread. Please be aware that the Money Sunset Deluxe version does not open Money files that are not US versions e.g. New Zealand, Australia, Asia..... I had to un-install the Sunset version, reinstall Money 2001 from my disc that I still had, correct the file location for backup and all is well again. Thanks to all.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:45 AM
  • That registry fix was awesome.  I am using Money 2000 Standard Edition, and it was reporting that I needed to install IE5.  Did the registry update and it worked instantly. Thank you.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Works like a charm!  I don't know how you managed to figure this out, but thank you!
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 2:59 PM
  • What were the steps you followed? Still not working for me. Thanks
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Still not working for me either
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:47 PM
  • The registry key change worked perfectly!!! Thank you for your help!
    • Proposed as answer by joermk Monday, August 10, 2015 12:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by joermk Monday, August 10, 2015 12:26 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:28 PM
  • What are the actual  steps to get to this registry. I have no clue on where to change it!!! Please help!!  Please go through step by step.  Thanks

• Edited by joermk Monday, August 10, 2015 12:28 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2015 12:27 AM
  • Once you get to Version, how do you highlight the numeric's to change value to zero?

Thank You For Your Time!

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Indeed that was the order in which I was able to fix Microsoft Money on Windows 10.

The initial DLL patch that I applied did not work; I had to look for the DLL patch specifically for Money Sunset. Once I did that, Money no longer crashed/froze when I downloaded statements from the bank. 

Recap: First I applied the registry fix and then I applied the correct patched DLL file.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Link to DLL patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m1dq0ncxhdqrtlj/MoneyPlusSunsetBiz.zip
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:33 PM
  • I have the same problem. Can you please tell me how/where I might find a copy of the original dll?

thanks!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:49 PM
  • If you mean where is it on your computer, it's probably in C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles or something similar.  Just search for mnyob99.dll.  There is a detailed description of how to find this is an earlier post in this thread.

If you want the patched file location, the download is in the previous post:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m1dq0ncxhdqrtlj/MoneyPlusSunsetBiz.zip

Bill Becker

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:01 PM
  • I tried all mentioned solutions, which did not work, but the one that did work was to open the OFX file in Notepad and verify if there is a ? As the first character of this file. You have to delete this ? If it is there, save the file and then importing into money under Windows 10 is no problem
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Need assistance:

I have MS Money 2004, I did the registry change and it worked to open MS Money 2004 but it crashes when I try to import a qfx/bank file.

The above mnyob99.dll patch is apparently for MS Money Sunset version only. I downloaded the Sunset version but I got the dreaded "the autorun.inf file is missing or corrupt" message.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I can try to manually input all of info to my accounts but that's just painful.=

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by magic moments Friday, December 6, 2019 1:24 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 7:11 PM
  • I have been running Money Deluxe 2004 for many years and when I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, like many other people, I lost access to the program and was advised to run IE6, which I didn't do.  Thank goodness I did some research next and found this forum site.  I used your registry change as per thread dated August 05 and it worked instantly and perfectly.  So..... a BIG thank you SonataQ14.  By the way, I do not use any internet download into Money so that wasn't an issue for me.
    Friday, August 28, 2015 3:54 AM
  • You dont need to make the registry change. Install the latest update to Windows 10 and Money will run fine  Read the other posts on this thread
    Friday, August 28, 2015 3:37 PM
  • Thank you - been a nightmare. Thought would have to revert back to previous version of Windows.

Clicked on "magnifying glass"  top right

type in "regedit" - small screen comes up with run command - click on it 

• Edited by JaneJ63 Sunday, September 6, 2015 9:03 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:59 AM
  • Worked for me!  Thanks!  MoneyPlus edtion

just updated to Win10 64

running on a Dell Inspiron

Monday, September 7, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Thanks for this. I was despairing and wondering what I was going to do, but it is now working. I am very relieved and very thankful for people more knowledge about IT than me who help with this sort of problem.
    Sunday, September 13, 2015 7:59 PM
  • I cannot get the Sunset version of Money to even install.  It hangs on the EULA page after I click "I Accept."  Is there a different version I should be installing on Windows 10 64 bit? 

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 11:02 PM