Advice on using a Sata II controller card RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've just ordered a Sata II controller card (Highpoint RR2640X1 RocketRAID 4-ch SAS+SATA RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD Controller, PCI-e x1, NCQ).

My system will be as follows:

- Connected to my Mobo (Asus P5QL-EM): Optical drive on the IDE connection and 6 x 1Tb sata II drives connected to each sata port.

- Connected to Sata II controller card: 4 x 1Tb sata II drives.

1. For new installation is it best to add this card and its HDD's after the WHS installation ?

2. If I ever have to do a "Re-installation" will it just be a matter of adding drivers during the re-install with a F6 disk ?

3. Am I right to assume that Sata port "0" will be on my motherboard ?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards from Australia

Jack
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Jack,
    1. For new installation you can use either method - but installing the card before installing the server would give you a good idea, how good the drivers you can provide would work in case of a necessary server reinstall.
    2. I think the experience from the first attempt would answer this - but since this is always a bit gambling with SATA drivers, you could attempt a server reinstall just after completing the intial installation and creating some test data. It may cost some time, but you can be sure, if it works as expected - or not.
    3. The onboard components usually have the higher priority, so your assumption should be right (although you could change the boot disk in Bios).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by hiitsjack Monday, April 20, 2009 10:52 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:25 AM