locked
Getting Close? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Just looking at the slowdown in issues reported here with PP1, are we getting close to a final release?  Just curious how we will be notified so we can uninstall PP1 before Windows Update tries to install the final release?

    Ted

    Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:48 PM

Answers

  •  BradPr US wrote:
    Will we have to uninstall the PP1 beta (maybe damage the system) in order to put the RTM PP1 on?

     

    Yes.

     

     BradPr US wrote:
    Or would a full install be better?

     

    It shouldn't be necessary to start over from scratch for that.

     

     BradPr US wrote:
    Or will the pack just patch on top of the beta bits?

     

    Brad

     

    Nope, you must uninstall the beta version manually first.

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:38 AM
    Moderator
  • Power Pack 1 DOES include all of the previous fixes from September, November of last year and March of this year.  So if you install Power Pack 1 over an RTM box, then all of the previous fixes will be applied - since they are all included in Power Pack 1.

     

     

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:36 PM

All replies

  •  TMG01 wrote:
    Just looking at the slowdown in issues reported here with PP1, are we getting close to a final release?  Just curious how we will be notified so we can uninstall PP1 before Windows Update tries to install the final release?

    Ted

     

    I'm sure Todd (or someone else from MS) will post the release date here at some point.

    Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:32 PM
    Moderator
  •  

    Will we have to uninstall the PP1 beta (maybe damage the system) in order to put the RTM PP1 on?

     

    Or would a full install be better?  Or will the pack just patch on top of the beta bits?

     

     

    Brad

     

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:02 AM
  •  BradPr US wrote:
    Will we have to uninstall the PP1 beta (maybe damage the system) in order to put the RTM PP1 on?

     

    Yes.

     

     BradPr US wrote:
    Or would a full install be better?

     

    It shouldn't be necessary to start over from scratch for that.

     

     BradPr US wrote:
    Or will the pack just patch on top of the beta bits?

     

    Brad

     

    Nope, you must uninstall the beta version manually first.

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:38 AM
    Moderator
  • Hopefully we'll be able to slipstream the update into our install disks for new installs?  I know a fresh install won't be necessary, but I'm sure many of us will be taking that path...

    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:41 PM
  • I believe that you will have to install Power Pack 1 after Windws Home Server (i.e. no slipstreaming). It requires other updates which are not part of your current WHS OEM media.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 5:28 PM
    Moderator
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I believe that you will have to install Power Pack 1 after Windws Home Server (i.e. no slipstreaming). It requires other updates which are not part of your current WHS OEM media.

     

    Most likely.  However, that HOWTO: Create a custom image of Windows Home Server using the OPK will probably work...

    Monday, July 14, 2008 6:08 PM
    Moderator
  • No, because Power Pack 1 will only install on a fully activated and functional WHS. I tried it already. Microsoft will eventually release media with PP1 included, but I don't know when exactly.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 9:45 PM
    Moderator
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    No, because Power Pack 1 will only install on a fully activated and functional WHS. I tried it already. Microsoft will eventually release media with PP1 included, but I don't know when exactly.

     

    Really?  I installed PP1 beta on an unactivated install of my OEM DVDs in a VM and it worked fine for me.  (As a matter of fact, I've installed PP1, uninstalled it, and installed it again.  No problems whatsoever.)

    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:47 PM
    Moderator
  • Power Pack 1 DOES include all of the previous fixes from September, November of last year and March of this year.  So if you install Power Pack 1 over an RTM box, then all of the previous fixes will be applied - since they are all included in Power Pack 1.

     

     

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:36 PM
  • That's good to know!

    Ted

     

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:39 PM