Recycle Bin & Onecare RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I tuneup my Toshiba Laptop that is running Windows Vista,  Onecare fails to empty the Recycle Bin. The "Remove unnecessary files from my computer during tuneup" in Onecare settings is selected.  I'm not sure if Onecare is removing other unnecessary files as it promises, but at least I know for sure it is not touching the Recycle Bin.

Anyone with similar problem and suggested solution?

thx.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:54 PM

Answers

• When you select the option in Cleanup manually, and then run a manual cleanup, does the recycle bin get cleared?

When you then run Tune-up in OneCare subsequently, after placing some files into the recycle bin, can you confirm that the recycle bin is then not emptied by cleanup during Tune-up? The reason I ask is that some dialogs in Windows will not present the options you've set previously when you open that dialog again. So, even though the dialog shows that the option for the recycle bin in unchecked, it may well still be set.

Note that the bug or problem would then be with the Windows Cleanup utility, not OneCare, as OneCare is executing the Cleanup. There is no option in OneCare for cleanup other than on or off. If it executes cleanup, OneCare Tune-up is functioning. I know that's frustrating - I would certainly like to see a dialog for options within OneCare to control the cleanup options directly, even if it uses the Windows utility to perform the actions. I just don't know if that's possible.

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:05 PM

All replies

• One Care uses the native Disc Cleanup settings. Open Computer, select your disc drive>Properties>Disc Cleanup. Follow the prompts and when Windows shows the files to be deleted, be sure the recycle bin is checked.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:52 PM
  • I tried the Disc Cleanup Settings.  The issue is whenever cleanup process is completed by using the Disc Cleanup, I reopen it to find the Recycle Bin is unchecked.  I can not keep it checked. This is why Onecare does not empty the Recycle Bin.  I'm logged in as Administrator, and there is only one user on my laptop.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I believe the default Windows setting is to not empty the recycle bin unless specifically directed to do so. Some computer users do not want to empty the recycle bin for some reason I don't understand. I use CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/ to keep the junk off of my computer. It's free, fast and highly configurable.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I read an interesting blog post some time back where the author had chosen to remove the Recycle Bin icon from their desktop so that it could function as designed - to recover files that had been prematurely deleted. You can set the properties for the drive(s) on your PC to use a single instance or a unique instance for each drive and specify the amount of space allowed for the Recycle Bin. Let Windows manage these files and don't worry about emptying the trash. :-)

The author noted that obsessing about a clean and empty recycle bin was tantamount to always permanently deleting files and not using the Recycle Bin at all, so training himself to ignore that there were files in it allowed him to use it as it was intended.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  

I agree.  But there is definitely a bug in Live Onecare.  As long as they have it as an option in the settings that you can choose, it should work.  What is the benefit of throwing in an option that is useless?

Otherwise, I fully agree with what both of you guys said and thanks for the tips.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:18 PM
  • When you select the option in Cleanup manually, and then run a manual cleanup, does the recycle bin get cleared?

When you then run Tune-up in OneCare subsequently, after placing some files into the recycle bin, can you confirm that the recycle bin is then not emptied by cleanup during Tune-up? The reason I ask is that some dialogs in Windows will not present the options you've set previously when you open that dialog again. So, even though the dialog shows that the option for the recycle bin in unchecked, it may well still be set.

Note that the bug or problem would then be with the Windows Cleanup utility, not OneCare, as OneCare is executing the Cleanup. There is no option in OneCare for cleanup other than on or off. If it executes cleanup, OneCare Tune-up is functioning. I know that's frustrating - I would certainly like to see a dialog for options within OneCare to control the cleanup options directly, even if it uses the Windows utility to perform the actions. I just don't know if that's possible.

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:05 PM