How to untangle two CRM servers running one organization? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my customers has a live, production CRM server with a single CRM organization ('MasterCRM') running CRM 4.0 Prof. ed. I've just discovered another (supposedly) test server which also has a single CRM organization (also called 'MasterCRM'). It appears as though the "test" server is actually acting like a disaster recovery server -- through a different URL, the user can use the test server to access the production CRM system; and disabling MasterCRM on the test server, disables the same organization on the live server.

I'd like to return the test server to its rightful role. I'm planning to disable 'MasterCRM' on the test server, uninstall CRM from the test server, re-enable MasterCRM on the live server, and then re-install CRM on the test server, then import a database backup as a new organization on the test server.

Does this procedure seem correct? Is an uninstall/reinstall the best plan?

Thanks, Neil

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Neil,
    I can guess that someone during installation join CRM server to the existing configuration Database. Check in the Deployment Manager in CRM in section Servers if you not have two CRM servers. So both CRM Servers are using the same Configuration Database (MSCRM_CONFIG).
    You can disable or delete Server from Deployment Manager test server and later do your procedure which will be working because you will be redeploying.

If you/client have only one SQL server/cluster... you may use different name for configuration database.

Hopefully it will help you a little.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:20 PM