locked
Can no longer use remote desktop RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Ever since the updates late last week, I've been unable to get a formerly flawless Live Mesh Remote Desktop setup to work. I am working with two machines: one running Vista 32 bit and another 64 bit. Each updated last week and ended the abilty to access the other remotely. Despite the service being automatic and started, I now get no option to connect to either machine at all when that machine is logged off. If I log into an account on machine A by some other means, machine B then shows a connect option but cautions me about the Live Mesh enhancements not being installed and never truly connects to the machine A even if I try.

    I followed Nadia's instructions to no avail. I then removed each machine from my mesh, uninstalled Live Mesh and reinstalled. This did not fix the situation. Indeed, another issue was created. If I now right-click on the system tray icon on either machine and select Update, I get a "Configure Live Mesh Updates?" dialog box, which I then accept and authorize with UAC. However, this doesn't "stick" in the sense that if I right-click and Update again, I get the same dialog box.

    Any ideas? I was really enjoy the Remote Desktop feature and have not been able to use it for several days now. I do have a "Plan B," the use of the built in Remote Desktop combined with LogMeIn's Hamachi VPN. However, I found Live Mesh to be easier and to have better performance.

    David
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

  • Hi David,

    We'll need to take a look at the Live Mesh logs from both computers to try to figure out what's happening.  Please either open a bug in Connect and attach the log files, or email them to lmprev@microsoft.com with the description of the issue that you have here.

    Thanks,

    Ben.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Ben,

    Looking at my own log from the Live Mesh remote desktop service, my problem seems to be the same zero device ID certificate issue also being discussed in another thread. So, I've posted and will take my solutions there. Note that after another uninstall/reinstall, I got my Vista 64-bit system working. I'm not sure why it eventually worked, although I was extra careful this time around to remove any and all files and registry entries related to Live Mesh before the reinstall. Now, although I used equal care on my Vista 32-bit system, that system still does not have working remote desktop access. If the solution to the zero device ID certificate issue (when you are able to provide it) doesn't work for me, I'll make sure submit my logs for further diagnosis.

    David
    • Edited by NameIsDavid Monday, October 13, 2008 5:12 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 5:12 PM