Strangeness when installing in VMWare 5.5 with a small master HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve set up a VM in VMWare Workstation 5.54 with the following disk configuration:

IDE Master, channel 0: 8GB Virtual HDD

IDE Master, channel 1: Virtual DVD

IDE Slave, channel 1: 80GB Virtual HDD

What happens is, it sees the secondary slave as disk 0 and the 8GB drive as disk 1, it completes the install, reboots and starts the setup again because there is no boot information on the disks.

I made the VM by following the wizard for Windows 2003 Std Server, found WHS doesn’t have the drivers for the virtual SCSI HDD, deleted that disk and added in a IDE drive, found the default was too small so I added in another 80GB virtual drive.

Why does the installer see the disks in the reverse order, and then installs the OS onto the wrong drive when the BIOS reports them in the correct order. If it saw it in the right order I'm sure it would've stopped me as the master HDD is too small

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:57 AM

Answers

• WHS hardware requirements cause it to install on the 80 GB drive. That's the only "disk" that's large enough, so that's where it tries to install.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:28 AM

All replies

• WHS hardware requirements cause it to install on the 80 GB drive. That's the only "disk" that's large enough, so that's where it tries to install.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:28 AM
  • Perhaps, but that doesn't address the problem that the computer complains that there's no OS when it boots up as it looks at the first HDD anyway, if WHS wrote to that drive's boot sector to make it boot from the other drive then that would've been ok. It also doesn't explain the reversed drive numbering order.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Blame the BIOS for that. Virtualization software has a BIOS, just like a motherboard. If the BIOS isn't flexible enough to check all the drives for a boot sector (which is what normally happens these days), you'll see exactly the behavior you describe.

And it's not that the installer necessarily saw the disks in the wrong order. It's just that the only disk it could install on was the last disk in line.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:07 AM
  • The BIOS is working correctly. It attempts to boot first to the DVD Drive. The DVD only checks if the primary HDD has a boot record if no boot record exists it starts the installer. The installer than installs WHS to the 80 GB drive incorrectly using it as the system partition as well as the boot partition.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:33 AM