Umm.. still at 1.5.1890.34.. If I haven't recieved 1.6 yet then should I expect to recieve 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Perhaps i've been too patient, or too busy to check for updates.. but recently I recieved an email from Microsoft mentioning the upcoming 2.0 release and I decided to check if I had recieved it..

Lo and behold.. I appear to be at 1.5.1890.34.. Little did I realise that there has been a 1.6 upgrade between this and 2.0..

So I have to ask... what happened?

Have I somehow been dropped from the upgrade schedule? I have automatic updates turned on, but is there something I need to do to insure I recieve the 2.0 upgrade?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:04 AM

Answers

•  Curt_G wrote:

Just wanted to add a few more things:

Checking some other forum posts, the solutions being offered so far have been to reinstall WLOC or be patient (upgrade occuring over a 2 week period).

The former option involves some cleanup, which I fear will wipe out my WLOC backup settings in the process.

The latter option is something i've been doing since 1.5.. waiting.. Given I never recieved the 1.6 upgrade i'm having doubts that my chances of recieving the 2.0 upgrade are any better.

Thanks. Looking forward to a resolution to all this.. Would love to be on the latest and greatest WLOC without having to wipe my backup settings.

Unfortunately, you will lose your backup settings and will need to uninstall 1.5 to go to 2.0. There appears to have been a problem with some subscriptions of 1.5 not going to 1.6, even though signature files were successfully being applied.

Since the 2.0 version has changed backup options and functions, you may have been prompted to create a new "backup plan" on update anyway. Small consolation, I'm sure, but a new full backup allows you to make a fresh start of it.

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:41 PM

All replies

• Just wanted to add a few more things:

Checking some other forum posts, the solutions being offered so far have been to reinstall WLOC or be patient (upgrade occuring over a 2 week period).

The former option involves some cleanup, which I fear will wipe out my WLOC backup settings in the process.

The latter option is something i've been doing since 1.5.. waiting.. Given I never recieved the 1.6 upgrade i'm having doubts that my chances of recieving the 2.0 upgrade are any better.

Thanks. Looking forward to a resolution to all this.. Would love to be on the latest and greatest WLOC without having to wipe my backup settings.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Had the same problem some months ago...did not receive automatic version upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6.  In the end decided to give up waiting for something that obviously was not going to happen and uninstalled/used cleanup tool/reinstalled, to get the latest version.  As I have not had version 2.0 automatically yet, I too am concerned that it will be the only way to get the latest version.  Any idea's why some have this problem at every new release?  (I don't remember doing a system restore since going to 1.6!)

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:38 AM
  • I'm sitting here waiting too, still with ver 1.6, and having received the MS email about update to 2 a couple of weeks ago.  It is frustrating that MS WL is so non-specific in their communications, and if you go to the link in the email to the main OC page, it doesn't say anything about version 2.

I considered uninstalling and reinstalling, to see if the new download "trial" was really version 2, but who wants to go to all that trouble?

Besides, it appears that there are some problems that come along with ver. 2, so maybe better to not be impatient.  I'm just wondering if the new features are really going to be worth it or just a new bunch of problems.

Based on my participation in the Beta forum (but not the Beta program, because it required uninstalling my subscription version, then uninstalling the Beta version at the end, then reinstalling the subscription version -- more trouble than I have time or patience for), it sounded like a lot of version 2 would not include options and features that I and other people suggested were important -- we were basically told to buzz off!

This new version better be a barn burner, or I won't be renewing my subscriptions.  There are lots of other products that do specific jobs (like Diskeeper does) that are much better than WLOC.  WLOC's potential virtue was to do a lot of things well, and the expectation that Microsoft should know how to deliver them made me an early adopter -- to my disappointment.

Why MS can't produce a really capable backup program, that doesn't take forever, and can back up the registry and key files, as well as data files, is beyond my comprehension!  Why such a backup program hasn't been included from the start of Windows is even harder to understand.  I haven't found a really good, reliable, easy backup program since Norton Backup for Windows 95!

Bah Humbug!

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. It's sort of comforting to know others are experiencing the same problems.

Stephen? you out there? I know you've responded to similar threads on this forum, but would you have any idea whether there is a manual upgrade process I could follow that would also allow me to retain my backup settings? In other words, I would like to continue making incremental backups, of just the areas I have chosen so far, and not end up performing a full backup and have to re-exclude folders after an upgrade (unless the upgrade entails some major change to the backup logic..in which case, so be it).

I feel my next words will be to complain about the backup tool in WLOC, so i'll leave it there Wink

Thanks again,

Curt

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:35 PM
  •  Paddy48 wrote:

I'm sitting here waiting too, still with ver 1.6, and having received the MS email about update to 2 a couple of weeks ago.  It is frustrating that MS WL is so non-specific in their communications, and if you go to the link in the email to the main OC page, it doesn't say anything about version 2.

I considered uninstalling and reinstalling, to see if the new download "trial" was really version 2, but who wants to go to all that trouble?

Besides, it appears that there are some problems that come along with ver. 2, so maybe better to not be impatient.  I'm just wondering if the new features are really going to be worth it or just a new bunch of problems.

Based on my participation in the Beta forum (but not the Beta program, because it required uninstalling my subscription version, then uninstalling the Beta version at the end, then reinstalling the subscription version -- more trouble than I have time or patience for), it sounded like a lot of version 2 would not include options and features that I and other people suggested were important -- we were basically told to buzz off!

This new version better be a barn burner, or I won't be renewing my subscriptions.  There are lots of other products that do specific jobs (like Diskeeper does) that are much better than WLOC.  WLOC's potential virtue was to do a lot of things well, and the expectation that Microsoft should know how to deliver them made me an early adopter -- to my disappointment.

Why MS can't produce a really capable backup program, that doesn't take forever, and can back up the registry and key files, as well as data files, is beyond my comprehension!  Why such a backup program hasn't been included from the start of Windows is even harder to understand.  I haven't found a really good, reliable, easy backup program since Norton Backup for Windows 95!

Bah Humbug!

Paddy, I so hear you. I agree the backup tool is half-baked. If I install a game and it has several audio files on it, I shouldn't have to instruct WLOC to NOT backup those files. I've lost count the number of times i've found audio files for games backed up on my DVD's..

What surprises me to this day is the fact the WLOC online page has a registry scanner and we *still* haven't seen a registry scanner for the WLOC client. So far i've used CCleaner to overcome this lack of feature in WLOC.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:58 PM
  •  Curt_G wrote:

Just wanted to add a few more things:

Unfortunately, you will lose your backup settings and will need to uninstall 1.5 to go to 2.0. There appears to have been a problem with some subscriptions of 1.5 not going to 1.6, even though signature files were successfully being applied.

Since the 2.0 version has changed backup options and functions, you may have been prompted to create a new "backup plan" on update anyway. Small consolation, I'm sure, but a new full backup allows you to make a fresh start of it.

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:41 PM
  •  

Thanks Steve, I had a feeling this might be the case.

A bit annoying, but so be it.

I'll follow the uninstall, cleanup, reinstall procedures listed elsewhere in this forum. Wish me luck!

Note to self...buy a CD/DVD shredder Wink

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Yes, it i annoying. :-(

I don't know why some 1.5 users didn't get updated, but it is likely because OneCare on the PC is reporting itself to be a version that is later than it really is.

No need to buy a shredder, they crack pretty well with a hammer or simply take steel wool to the disc! Once you put a bunch or deep scratches on both sides they are pretty much toast.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Yesterday, about 4 pm, I suddenly lost internet connection.  I did all the usual troubleshooting -- turn the router off and on, turn the DSL modem on and off, run Network Magic, etc  The latter would show a successful reconnection for a minute or so, then would show it lost again.  Then I noticed that the OC firewall was consuming 25% or so of CPU.  So, I thought  maybe the problem might be that OC was trying to update my 1.6 subscription to 2.0 and it wasn't going well.

So, I uninstalled OC 1.6.  Windows Firewall kicked back in then.  Still no internet connection.  So, I dropped the Win Firewall too, still no connection.  Tried to install WLOC 2.0, which I had previously downloaded the setup file.  No luck -- insists on checking for updates and won't proceed w/o internet connect. (Did not run the OC cleanup tool, because I couldn't download it.)

So, I was stuck.  Thought maybe it was an ISP problem.  Gave up until this morning.  Called ISP tech support.  They showed my modem connected from their end.  Tried everything the TS guy suggested.  Still no connection.  TS guy decided probably modem had gone bad (has been in service nearly three years).  Said they would send truck with new modem by 11 am tomorrow.

Ran the SystemSuite 7 Registry Cleaner -- deleted a few hundred "safe" items.  Left the yellow and red ones alone.

About an hour later, I noticed that internet connection was back, and so far, is holding.  Got to check my mail, update my stock charts, and to install WLOC 2.0!

I have no idea what was interferring with my internet connection.  Don't know if it will last or if guy will show up with new modem.

Looked at new features on WLOC 2.0 -- don't see a lot as far as new options goes; a few nice cosmetic things -- like the subscription expiration date.  Have another PC on this home network with WLOC 1.6 still running -- not updated.  Think I'll leave it and see whether it ever updates.  Until then, the OneCare Circle apparently requires the other computer to have version 2.0 to work, so I'll leave that alone for a while.

Hope this posts before I lose internet connection.

BTW, noticed this post on why OC doesn't have a registry cleaner http://qna.live.com/ShowQuestion.aspx?qid=210268C4C2EC4D02B81C22C09AA5561D .  Of course, I remember the much longer discussion on this in the Beta 2 forum (which has been taken down).

It's after 3 pm now, I've spent a lot of hours out of the last 24 trying to fix this problem and manually updating to WLOC 2.0.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:23 PM
  • There are so many causes for lost connections, but I suspect this one is more ISP-related.

In my experience, typically a "repair" of the connection or a reset of the router works. Outside of that it's the ISP...which means waiting..  (there I go with waiting again Wink )

Still, here's hoping your connection troubles are temporary!

A few thoughts about WLOC 2.0:

- I was naively expecting the startup optimizer to be something akin to older versions of SpeedupMyPC.. where it measured load times of each program and gave an option to optimize.. something about re-ordering the run order of the programs to get a faster overal startup time.. Instead I get something akin to a msconfig: turn it on or off. Not a great bonus.

- The backup program is now resembling the Windows backup program (which oddly enough isn't installed by default in XP Home.. but anywho): checkboxes to select/exclude what is backed up vs. the 1.5 (and 1.6?) method of typing/selecting the paths to exclude. A slight improvement, but how about a way to export/import your backup settings ala SyncBack? How about a bootable CD/DVD set (ala Windows backup?) should Windows go completely fubar?

- I have one PC. The Onecare circle and it's apparent benefits are lost on me, but I can see it being of some benefit should I elect to set it up on my brother and sisters PC's. Seeing as i'm their tech support it would be nice to remotely maintain their PC's Wink

- The reasons for no registry cleaner are somewhat perplexing: There is an online tool to clean your registry, but for some reason the same logic can't be incorporated into a client-side app and included in WLOC. I mean, the chances that the online tool could "bugger up the PC" are pretty much the same as a client-side app based on the same code isn't it?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:25 PM
  •  Curt_G wrote:

A few thoughts about WLOC 2.0:

- I was naively expecting the startup optimizer to be something akin to older versions of SpeedupMyPC.. where it measured load times of each program and gave an option to optimize.. something about re-ordering the run order of the programs to get a faster overal startup time.. Instead I get something akin to a msconfig: turn it on or off. Not a great bonus.

- The backup program is now resembling the Windows backup program (which oddly enough isn't installed by default in XP Home.. but anywho): checkboxes to select/exclude what is backed up vs. the 1.5 (and 1.6?) method of typing/selecting the paths to exclude. A slight improvement, but how about a way to export/import your backup settings ala SyncBack? How about a bootable CD/DVD set (ala Windows backup?) should Windows go completely fubar?

- I have one PC. The Onecare circle and it's apparent benefits are lost on me, but I can see it being of some benefit should I elect to set it up on my brother and sisters PC's. Seeing as i'm their tech support it would be nice to remotely maintain their PC's

- The reasons for no registry cleaner are somewhat perplexing: There is an online tool to clean your registry, but for some reason the same logic can't be incorporated into a client-side app and included in WLOC. I mean, the chances that the online tool could "bugger up the PC" are pretty much the same as a client-side app based on the same code isn't it?

Thanks for your thoughts, Curt_G.

The startup cleaner will probably be improved over time and perhaps we'll even see the ability to rearrange the startup order.

Back - well, that's a whole discussion for the backup forum. The bootable CD/DVD idea would be nice if OneCare did a system backup, but it doesn't. In the event of a total drive failure or failure of Windows, your data is "safe" if backed up y OneCare, but you will need to use the PC maker's recovery process or get a repair shop to take care of that serious problem if you are "typical" home user. Once that was resolved, you would reinstall OneCare and other programs as needed and then restore your data via OneCare.

Yes, the Circle and shared backup does nothing for  you with one PC. The idea to have a PC be a hub for multiple subscription has been suggested before. It's a good one for some people like you and I. :-)

The team responsible for the Safety Scanner, rebranded as Windows Live OneCare Safety Scan, is not the same team as the PC version - hence the disconnect on the topic of a Registry Cleaner. Personally, I don't want one in OneCare n the PC unless I can turn it off completely.

Although we don't see it immediately, many changes in OneCare are below the surface. Much of the firewall has been redesigned and there has been lots of improvement in scan times. There were bug fixes (along with new ones introduced, I suspect!) and OneCare now has the ability to repair itself in some cases. As more scenarios are identified that can be scripted based on an error condition, more self-repair scenarios will be added. Help has also undergone some big changes.

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:44 PM
  • What is happening with the upgrade roll out?. It has been more than 2 weeks now and no sign of an update. Why hasn't Microsoft released the version on it's website?. I don't think I will be bothered renewing my licence past next year when it expires.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:10 PM
  • As I said earlier, I manually uninstalled 1.6, and installed 2.0 from the OneCare webpage download.  I have two other computers sitting here, with 1.6 still running -- still not updating automatically.  Will be interesting to see if it ever does.

A few more comments on 2.0 performance so far -- I ran the tune-up, and it reported completing the defrag on all four partitions, for the first time, I think.  Of course, it really didn't have much work to do, as Diskeeper has been running in the background for about a month -- but 1.6 wouldn't report more than one defragged, if that, even though Diskeeper had done all the real work.

At least OC 2.0 does open much more quickly when the icon in the windows taskbar is clicked and other features seem to be faster.  Haven't tried the Backup yet, but as Stephen says, it only backs up data (and I'm not sure just what it will back up, particularly since I like to store my data on separate drives, not dump everything buried under Documents and Settings, which is where most programs put things by default), but having to call the nerd team for a hard disk crash is hardly a satisfactory solution -- reinstalling original programs means a huge amount of time installing updates and custominzing things -- if you can still find the CDs and the software keys to do so.  I just can't see any good reason for MS not to put out a backup program that does a backup of the registry and other key operating files.

(BTW, the DSL repairman put in a new modem, rewired the phone line, and changed me to a different channel at the main DSL phone switch.  Really not sure what the problem was -- the internet connection came back on yesterday about 3 pm, 23 hours after I lost it.  So, hopefully these changes will prevent recurrence of the outage.)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Do u think 2.0 is better because i had 1.5, i just bought and i unstall that because, it dosent have more options. Also software reviews said that theri are better antiviruse softwares than the 1.5

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:08 AM
  •  GeeseyOZ wrote:

What is happening with the upgrade roll out?. It has been more than 2 weeks now and no sign of an update. Why hasn't Microsoft released the version on it's website?. I don't think I will be bothered renewing my licence past next year when it expires.

Version 2 is what you will get if you go to http://onecare.live.com

There is no manual update - it will be staged to everyone over time. It has not yet been 2 weeks since release - it will be 2 weeks on Friday afternoon. And, please remember that there was a long Holiday weekend in these 2 weeks, too.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:46 AM
  •  Paddy48 wrote:

(BTW, the DSL repairman put in a new modem, rewired the phone line, and changed me to a different channel at the main DSL phone switch.  Really not sure what the problem was -- the internet connection came back on yesterday about 3 pm, 23 hours after I lost it.  So, hopefully these changes will prevent recurrence of the outage.)

Glad to hear that the tech took care of you Internet connection.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:47 AM
  •  ezranj wrote:
    Do u think 2.0 is better because i had 1.5, i just bought and i unstall that because, it dosent have more options. Also software reviews said that theri are better antiviruse softwares than the 1.5

Yes, 2.0 is an improvement over 1.5.

There are better antivirus products, but OneCare is a full protection suite.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Steve,

Question about backups:

Let's say I have two PCs: PC#1 with WLOC, PC#2 without WLOC

If I backup data on PC#1 to DVD/CD using WLOC, can I pop the DVD/CD into PC#2 and do a recovery?

Sure, with three licenses I could just opt to install WLOC on PC#2, but i'm thinking worse case: I have the backup, but not WLOC, and I need to recover the data. Is it possible?

On another note, I'm glad to hear that many changes are below the surface. If this means tightening the code base before adding new features i'm all for it.. Better to build more features from a solid base than not!

Sorry to hear that the Safety Scanner team are seperate from the WLOC client team.. Maybe a cross training initiative is in the near future? Wink Would love to see this included in WLOC at some point, even if it only begins as a supplement to the disk cleaner (eg. MRU cleanup). In the meantime I'll continue to user CCleaner in tandem with WLOC.

Thanks,

Curt

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Humm, I'm sitting here with MsMpEng.exe (OneCare) sucking up 80 -- 96% of my CPU, and it's not running TuneUp as far as I can tell.  The sucking up of CPU was a previous problem with OneCare that I thought had been fixed.  Really slows down the PC (Win XP, Pentium 4, 1.5 GB of RAM).  I'm going to kill the process right now.  When I did, up popped a notice that the scan was stopped before completed.  I don't know why it was running a scan, because I just ran a full Tune Up after I installed it yesteday, and I had scheduled it to run at 9 pm on Saturday.  I guess it was the virus checker, which I just checked was scheduled for daily starting at 8 pm.  So, it's been running for four hours!! 

This is not pleasing!!

No, if I didn't already have several subscriptions, I wouldn't buy a new one, and I most likely won't be renewing any from what I'm seeing with 2.0.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:36 AM
  • Perhaps I didn't explain myself. I am not waiting for a manual update. I am waiting for the promised automatic upgrade. I will grant you that two weeks expires tomorrow but I am not hopefull that tomorrow will bring my auto upgrade. If I am reading all the forums right, applying the manual upgrade instead of waiting for the roll out will only cause problems. Everywhere I can see on the website talks about the Version 2 Beta in any case. Shouldn't subscribers be treated a little better by Microsoft?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:26 AM
  • Off the top of my head, I would say that you can't restore to a PC where OneCare is not installed. In v1.0 the CD/DVD backups contained a small exe that was the restore wizard, but I think that went away. You will need to install OneCare to the other PC in order to perform the restore.

If I find the time to run a backup one of these days with 2.0, I'll do it to cd/dvd and educate myself. :-)

Update: I educated myself.  While the exe is still written to the CD, it simply opens and informs you that you need to have OneCare installed on the destination PC if it isn't already installed. If OneCare is on the destination PC, the exe launches the Restore process wizard for you.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     GeeseyOZ wrote:

What is happening with the upgrade roll out?. It has been more than 2 weeks now and no sign of an update. Why hasn't Microsoft released the version on it's website?. I don't think I will be bothered renewing my licence past next year when it expires.

There is no manual update - it will be staged to everyone over time. It has not yet been 2 weeks since release - it will be 2 weeks on Friday afternoon. And, please remember that there was a long Holiday weekend in these 2 weeks, too.

-steve

Surprise, surprise, no update to version 2 has arrived. There are weekends in every week, holidays during the week, etc.

Maybe Australian users have to wait until after the two week period. Microsoft really needs to get it's act together. When I get an e-mail tellling me an autoamtic upgrade is coming soon, I surprisngly believe that it will happen sooner rather than later. The first part of customer service is the customer. The second part is service. When you have a monopoly I guess you are no longer a customer just a subscriber.

Friday, November 30, 2007 10:16 PM
  • I don't know the status of the update roll-out. You're right it is two weeks and I would have expected that it should have been staged to all. There have been some late breaking issues that have been reported for upgrades via the forums and support, so it is possible that they delayed the full deployment a bit to get some fixes in place and to allow support to be able to adequately handle the volume. This is speculation on my part. The upgrades are not rolled out by Region, by the way. It is a server based roll-out.

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:38 AM
  •  GeeseyOZ wrote:
     Stephen Boots wrote:
     GeeseyOZ wrote:

-steve

Surprise, surprise, no update to version 2 has arrived. There are weekends in every week, holidays during the week, etc.

Maybe Australian users have to wait until after the two week period. Microsoft really needs to get it's act together. When I get an e-mail tellling me an autoamtic upgrade is coming soon, I surprisngly believe that it will happen sooner rather than later. The first part of customer service is the customer. The second part is service. When you have a monopoly I guess you are no longer a customer just a subscriber.

Don't feel too bad.  I've am a charter subscriber to OneCare, my subscription is paid up until 2009 and yet I haven't even gotten the email notification about the upgrade.  I still have version 1.6.2111.38 and have no idea when or if version 2.0 might come my way.

I agree that the update policy and service are both lacking.  The time limit for the promised update has now been reached and yet these is no explanation from the OneCare site as to why the update has failed.  Something is not right in the land of OneCare.

Perhaps they have adopted a new name for the product?  CareLess.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:50 AM
  • Bob, there was no time-limit for the update - the announcement - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421245&SiteID=2 - says "If you are running 1.6 as a trial user or a subscriber, you will be updated to 2.0 in the near future. It is recommended that you await the automatic download that will be staged to everyone in the coming days. " I wrote that. In subsequent posts I mentioned that the roll-out could take about 2 weeks. It may have been drawn out further. If you are anxious for v2, uninstall 1.6 and reinstall from http://onecare.live.com and you'll have v2, but make sure to note your subscriber LiveID before the reinstall.

How do you arrive at the idea that "the update has failed" and that there should be an explanation of said failure?

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:10 AM
  •  

I never thought of a fortnight and counting as being even close to the definition of “near future”.  I’ll be sure to add that to my Funk & Wagnall’s.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:46 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Bob, there was no time-limit for the update - the announcement - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421245&SiteID=2 - says "If you are running 1.6 as a trial user or a subscriber, you will be updated to 2.0 in the near future. It is recommended that you await the automatic download that will be staged to everyone in the coming days. " I wrote that. In subsequent posts I mentioned that the roll-out could take about 2 weeks. It may have been drawn out further. If you are anxious for v2, uninstall 1.6 and reinstall from http://onecare.live.com and you'll have v2, but make sure to note your subscriber LiveID before the reinstall.

How do you arrive at the idea that "the update has failed" and that there should be an explanation of said failure?

-steve

So now we wait for the no time limit upgrade. I will be using something like ZoneAlarm in the future where I am consideed a customer not a subscriber. There is a difference.

(( Customer)

1. a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron.

((Subscriber))

1.  to set one's name to a paper in token of promise to give something

Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:02 AM
  • I'm sorry that you feel that way, GeeseyOz. The way I see it, you are running OneCare and it is protecting your PC and performing all of the functions that you paid for. OneCare should update to the new version without any action on your part once it is offered to your subscription ID.

My wife's PC is on 1.6 right now and is fully up to date signature-wise. I verified last night that it is successfully checking for updates, so it has not yet been offered 2.0.

Not yet having the new version  does not mean that my wife or you have been slighted. In fact, I suspect that the roll-out was slowed down based on feedback from customers here and to support for issues encountered with updates. Once these have been resolved, updates will likely continue to roll out.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:18 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

-steve

Based upon the many questions and complaints I've seen in this forum alone, I would say that a failure of some sort has delayed the update.

It would be nice to hear from someone in the loop that knows about the problem(s) and is willing to explain what is being done to resolve the issues.

Instead we seem to encounter the proposition of "you pay your money and take your chances".

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:52 AM
  • The upgrades have been staged to a number of subscribers already and will be staged to more moving forward. Issues identified with each wave that were not found in beta testing are being addressed and fixed as they come up. Note that the original wave of upgrades were a different build than the last wave. I expect that a new build will be staged in the very near future.

As long as OneCare is green and active on your PC, even if it is still at v1.6, your system is protected and you are receiving updates for signatures and firewall rules.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Still waiting -- out of five PCs with OC 1.6 on them, NONE have been upgraded to ver. 2  -- except the two where I downloaded ver.2, uninstalled ver 1.6, then installed ver. 2.  So much for rollout, staging and all that!  Sure would be nice if MS would keep us informed.

Meanwhile, I'm grappling with the infamous Vista problem -- "Internet Explorer has stopped working"

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:54 AM
  • Paddy, the upgrades will resume after the 1st of the year some time.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:25 AM
  • Hooray!  Finally, at last, last night OneCare updated on one of my PCs (I've already manually upgraded three of them).

Boo!  So, now, OneCare fails to start on that PC -- have rebooted twice.  .Same result.  Each time, I was able to start OC by clicking Start in the Services app, starting Windows Live One Care.  That's much easier than continually rebooting, which so far leads nowhere, or going through the CMD window.  (I keep a Services icon on my desktop, seems have to use it often.)

(And, now Network Magic also fails to start.  It does start when I click on it's run icon, though, just not automatically.)

I saw your note earlier, Steven, in the Update section, about multiple reports of this happening with the OC update.  So, I went into Services and did the first two on your list.  I don't show the last two services: 

Network Store Interface Service

Network List Services

(See http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2 )

I'm running XP Home, SP2, on this machine.

I did not have the failure to start on another machine, running XP Home, nor on one running XP Pro nor on one running Vista Premium, where I uninstalled ver. 1.6 and manually installed ver. 2.0.

Stephen, thanks for your continued good natured and helpful responses to frustrated grouches like me and others!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Off subject -- Vista is driving me and others crazy the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and "Internet Explorer has stopped working" crashes and I can't find a good answer in the forums or on MS Support.

Seems I spend more time troubleshooting than using the computer!

Friday, January 4, 2008 11:45 PM
  • You're welcome, Paddy48. :-) I try.

So, at this point, OneCare and Network Magic are not starting automatically on this PC, correct? And those two required services are missing?

The post you referred to contains information provided to me by the OneCare team verbatim, so I can't say why you don't see these services and what to do if that's the case.

You've got a workaround at the moment, it seems, albeit painful, so it is up to you if you want to contact support or wait to see if more information is forthcoming here or a future update resolves it. Personally, I'd contact support with the details you know, including the link to the post, and see if support has better information on what else to try. I'm sure that they are getting lots of similar reports now that the upgrades have resumed.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Steve, thanks again for all you do! 

Yes, it seems my workaround is OK for now.

I'm sorry, but I have spent so much time with WLOC Support in the past, and been so disappointed, that I don't think I will ever contact them again!  I find the user support in forums like this one are better places to prospect.  Last July -- August (or earlier, I forget) or so, I spent hours and days with OC support people.  I had one guy who was really great, and we spent hours on the phone and with him connected to my HP laptop, where OC kept doing crazy things -- he saw it happen right on his own screen -- it would be running, and then suddenly stop.  Nothing he or I could do could keep OC running.  He collected all kinds of information, uploaded to his computer.  (I was pretty uncomfortable with that, but decided to take the chance.)  He promised to look at the information and check with his supervisors and get back to me.  After a couple of weeks of not hearing from him and no one responding to my emails, I tried OC support by phone a couple more times.  I told them about the session, about the files, etc. but all I got was some dummies (sorry but that's how they acted!) who apparently couldn't or weren't allowed to think or do anything but follow a basic script. 

(I'm not a trained IT guy and there is much I don't know but I have been working with computers and software since the 60s, and it really frosts me when support people won't listen and insist on following some script which I know is just not applicable -- already been there, done that, etc. I suppose they either don't know any better, or are instructed to do so, but it's a big waste of my time and doesn't solve the problem for me.  It makes it even harder to bear when they aren't really conversant in English, or say things that I know are just not correct, and there are long hold times to even talk to someone.)

I finally took OC off the HP laptop, installed free ZoneAlarm and free Norton Antivirus (from Google) and it has been running that way ever since. 

I've had various troubles with OC right from the initial version, and I've commented quite a few times in this forum as you can determine.  I have OC licenses for 9 PCs, plus the initial 3 PC that I bought when OC first was released (those 3 are expired). I've spent more time trying to solve OC problems than with any other single program, other than the Windows OS themselves.

When my existing licenses are used up, I'l most likely be moving on to something else -- most likely ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which as far as I can tell is far more trouble free than anything else I've tried.  (But I did just buy OC 2.0 as part of a tax software deal, which after rebates, is "free," so now I've got 12 valid licenses!)  I also have found that System Suite has never let me down (for PC maintenance).  And I'm still a fan of Diskeeper.

Cheers.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:01 AM
  • WLOC 2.0 refuses to start after rebooting after it was automatically updated from ver. 1.6.  I also noticed that Network Magic was also not starting after the update to OC 2.0.  Both could be started manually from Services.

I had not encountered this problem on other computers, where I had uninstalled ver 1.6 and manually installed ver. 2 because I got tired of waiting for the update.  So, I thought I'd try uninstalling ver 2, and reinstalling it manually.  (I did not run the OC cleanup utility though). 

After I uninstalled ver. 2, and rebooted, I noted that Network Magic started up just fine on Windows startup.

So, I downloaded OC 2. and installed it.  Rebooted.  Both the newly installed OC and the Network Magic did not start. 

So, I started them manually, completed the OC set up.

Then I changed the Network Magic options so that it did not start with Windows, thinking that clearly there was some kind of interference going on between OC 2 and NM.

Then I rebooted.  Again, OC did not start, but I could then start it from Services.

I give up!  Every time I start this PC, I'll have to start these two programs manually!

I sure am getting REALLY TIRED of all these Windows Live OneCare PROBLEMS!!!

Maybe running the OC Cleanup utility might have helped.  I'm too tired of troubleshooting this program to try it right now, though!

Sunday, January 6, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Since Network Magic controls wireless networking I'd expect some amount of interaction between it and OneCare. This means you'll either need to communicate with the Support groups for one or the other product or simply wait around until someone else does this and posts about it.

I took the two minutes it took to search for their web site, find their knowledgebase under Support and put the word 'OneCare' in the search box provided. There is only one article found and it looks as if it's for v1.x so I don't know if it applies to v2.x of OneCare.

Personally I'd try to avoid having two programs that control networking aspects of the PC, since they are likely to conflict at some level no matter how well written they might be. This is the same type of issue that exists with two anti-virus or two firewalls, it might work but it's simply asking for trouble.

What you need to decide is how much of what Network Magic does is duplicated now in OneCare v2.0 and whether this is really necessary. From the description I saw at the web site I don't see much advantage to having both on the PC, since the short list reads like a description of some of the added features in OneCare v2.0, including printer sharing and wireless security.

OneCareBear

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Thanks for comments, OneCareBear.  Granted that the new network circle features of OC could conflict with Network Magic.  I upgraded another PC with NM running on it to OC 2.0 (manually), and didn't have this problem.

The reason I have Network Magic installed is because of the problems with networking that resulted from installing OC ver 1.x at the start -- my network setups were working fine before I installed OC way back then.  Now, I've come to rely on NM to fix network problems, so I'm not inclined to take it off.  Besides, when I choose to not start NM when windows starts, OC ver 2.0 still refused to start.  Since many others are apparently reporting the problem with OC 2.0 according to Steve Boots, I'm inclined to wait for OC to finally figure it out.

I did try the fixes that Steve posted at the start of this forum, but they didn't fix it, and it was curious that two of the services in the list were missing from my PC.

NM provides some nice Help pages, which I post below for the benefit of other forum users.  I checked the services listed by NM, and found they were all set to automatic, but the service, "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions," isn't on my PC.  So, it may be that there is a problem with the Windows Mangement Instrumentatin, as the NM Help page suggests may be the situation.  This looks like some really serious troubleshooting, and I'm going to wait and tackle it another time. 

Meanwhile, I can start both NM and OC, manually, after they fail to start on Windows start, and they seem to run fine together after they are manually started.  It's just another incovenience introduced by OneCare!

Pat

BTW, here's also a link to the NM webpage on how to configure OC to run with NM -- probably the one OCB refers to in previous post -- does appear to be for ver 1.x of OC, and I'll check these out, but I don't really think those settings are likely to be the problem -- the problem really is something introduced by the version 2 of OC!

http://support.networkmagic.com/cgi-bin/pure.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=147&p_created=1158873229&p_sid=3IWxY7Vi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW9uZWNhcmU*&p_li=&p_topview=1

http://www1.networkmagic.com/support/faq/156.html

Service not running - WMI Repair & Reinstall

Question:

How to fix Microsoft's Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) problems.

Answer:

Microsoft's Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is a built-in part of Windows that Network Magic requires.

1) Sometimes the WMI service is simply stopped and needs to be restarted.

a) Start --> Run --> "services.msc" [Enter]

b) Scroll down and find "Event Log"

c) Right click on it and choose "Properties"

d) On the properties page, make sure the "Startup type" is set for "Automatic"

e) Confirm the "Service Status" is "Started".

f) Click "OK"

g) Repeat steps (c) - (f) for "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)"

h) Repeat steps (c) - (f) for "Windows Management Instrumentation"

i) Repeat steps (c) - (f) for "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions"

j) If this doesn't resolve the problem, proceed to step 2.

2) Sometimes the WMI becomes corrupt or damaged and needs to be repaired or reinstalled. Here is a walkthrough to help you through the process:

(note: This issue is usually related to the error "cannot start properly".)

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Paddy, you're welcome and thanks for maintaining your sanity and good nature through the issues. :-)

I'm glad that the workaround has helped and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the next minor update to 2.0 resolves this startup issue for you (and others). How that affects Network Magic, I can't say, but maybe I'll keep my other fingers crossed for you on that part of the issue! I mean, with all those licenses, I'd sure like to see a happy customer!

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that WLOC V1.6 also blocks my Network Magic program. I can run it from the Vista desktop taskbar icon under 'blocked programs' each time I log on. Is there a way to allow it to start each time?. It is in the WLOC list of allowable programs to run under the Firewall and runs without problems when I start it from the 'blocked programs' icon on start up.

Many Thanks

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:15 PM