Export Reports to Excel (PivotTable) and MS Word Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to do the following using generated reports (e.g. Sales History Report)

1.  Export the report (e.g. Sales History Report) into an auto-generated PivotTable view without a lot of custom coding?  My current assumption is to keep it simple and have the user export the report and then manually use the PivotTable wizard to select the data requried for the pivot table.

2. Data needs to be pulled into a MS Word template so it can be built. For example, a requisition form template in Word.  The data will come from MS CRM (e.g. company name, contact name, etc.) and will be dumped into a MS Word template that can be "customized" manually by customer sales representatives before emailing out to the potential clients. In the reports export dropdown, there is no option to drop the data into a word template. My current assumption is that the reporting export functionality is fine for its purpose. But for a functionality such as "mail merge" into a MS Word template, this would need to be a custom built functionality that we would explicitly select the required fields and then "press a button" and then it opens in MS Word.

Thanks.

Mike

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:44 PM

Answers

• There is no easy means to customise the export functionality from reports, so to answer your questions:

1. You're right that the simplest way is to export, then manually create the pivot table
    2. The report export options are controlled by SQL Server, and there is no option to export to Word. I belive the next version of SQL (SQL 2008) will allow this, but in the meantime you're better off treating this a s a mail merge, and if the (limited) out of box mail merge functionality won't do, then look at the add-ons from c360 or mscrm-addons
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:27 PM

All replies

• There is no easy means to customise the export functionality from reports, so to answer your questions:

1. You're right that the simplest way is to export, then manually create the pivot table
    2. The report export options are controlled by SQL Server, and there is no option to export to Word. I belive the next version of SQL (SQL 2008) will allow this, but in the meantime you're better off treating this a s a mail merge, and if the (limited) out of box mail merge functionality won't do, then look at the add-ons from c360 or mscrm-addons
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:27 PM
  • I guess we'll see this coming Feb. when SQL 2008 comes out then.

So for now i'll try the mail merge and then if it's not adequate, then I'll look into 3rd party components.

Thanks for your response David.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:45 AM
  •  

Another option you might consider looking into for third party applications might be aspose. We use it within my company for all kinds of word documents with formula's for math and algorithm's behind them. Also has the capability of allowing you to work with excel or create custom pdf's, etc... Just another route you could go. We use c360 as well but I think the combination of c360 and aspose is infinitely more powerful just a thought.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:17 PM