upgrading from crm 3.0 to crm 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear ALL;

i am getting the follwoing error while updating from crm 3.0 to 4.0 

Error message when you upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0: "Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateGroupsAction failed The server is unwilling to process the request. (Exception from
    HRESULT:0x80072035)"

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you provide more information about the error? Can you get the update log file and send the lines where the error appears. Thank you.

Albert Porra

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:59 AM
  • how can i get the update log file?? where it is located
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Probably you will find the lof file in:

C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\Microsoft\Mscrm\Logs\crm40setup.log

Albert Porra

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:24 AM
  • Hi Albert Porra;

this is the log info of the error 

Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateCrmGroupsAction
    13:36:41|Verbose| Creating group PrivReportingGroup {df32d36c-f5b0-4c69-9929-6f2638157b48} ...
    13:36:42|  Error| System.Exception: Handlingen Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateCrmGroupsAction mislykkedes. ---> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072035): The server is unwilling to process the request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072035)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.CommitChanges()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.ADUtility.CreateCrmGroup(DirectoryEntry container, String prefix, Guid guid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateCrmGroupsAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---, Error, RetryCancel, Option1
    13:40:32|   Info| InputResult: Retry
    13:40:32|Verbose| Creating group PrivReportingGroup {df32d36c-f5b0-4c69-9929-6f2638157b48} ...
    13:40:32|  Error| System.Exception: Handlingen Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateCrmGroupsAction mislykkedes. ---> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072035): The server is unwilling to process the request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072035)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.CommitChanges()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.ADUtility.CreateCrmGroup(DirectoryEntry container, String prefix, Guid guid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateCrmGroupsAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---, Error, RetryCancel, Option1

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

It seems to be more of a permissions issue related to Active Directory. Error occured while creating PrivReportingGroup in AD. Are you sure user uprading the CRM has aaprpriate privileges on AD?

Check Installation option 2 here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946677

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

What Imran said is correct. It seems to be a permission issue related to AD. If you are not sure that your user has the needed privileges over AD to create the groups needed for CRM 4.0 instalation, just try to use the option 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946677.

Albert Porra

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Dear Imran and Albert

yes i did use the option two making the config file in which the automanagementgroupoff=true but i am surprise that why the upgrade process start creating the groups as i was using the config file i will have to chekc my xml file again ..it posible that if you have wrong path for gropus in the xml for example i forgot to write the OU name in that xml file the upgrade process will start creating own groups ????

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Another workaround if you can not give rights to create the AD groups, is use exiting ones specifying the groups in the config.xml:

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    < CRMSetup>
      <Server>
        <Groups autogroupmanagementoff="false">
    < PrivReportingGroup>CN=GroupName,OU=OUName,DC=DCName,DC=DCName,DC=DCName,DC=DCName</PrivReportingGroup>
        </Groups>
      </Server>
    < /CRMSetup>

Albert Porra

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Sorry, i answered your previous question. I thikn you have to check you XML file and try to write the correct names. Probably if the names are wrong it will start to create a new ones...

Albert Porra

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:26 PM
  • One more thing the automanagementgroupoff should be FALSE or TRUE I think true

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Anwar,

I'm sorry, I made a mistake, you have to set automanagementgroupoff to TRUE if you want to use your own existing AD groups. If you set this parameter to false, the install tries to create a new ones...

Albert Porra

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:02 PM
  • hi albert

i tried the config file but still the same error i am getting.is there any rollup update or hotfix i have to install before the upgrade

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:20 PM