Possible to synchronize two Home Servers over the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two home servers. one in my house and one off site at a friends house. Both are connected to the internet. Is there an add-in available or maybe some workaround using Mesh to have the servers synchronize automagically through the internet? There will be a large amount of data being transferred at times. Is this doable?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:19 PM

Answers

• There is no add-in available to do this, and Mesh is not available for Windows Home Server (though a Mesh add-in is feasible, and a proof of concept was apparently demonstrated at PDC this year). If you're willing to "roll your own" you could e.g. establish a connection using something like Hamachi, then syncronize certain folders using a tool like Sync Toy or robocopy.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by IamDefiler Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:28 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• There is no add-in available to do this, and Mesh is not available for Windows Home Server (though a Mesh add-in is feasible, and a proof of concept was apparently demonstrated at PDC this year). If you're willing to "roll your own" you could e.g. establish a connection using something like Hamachi, then syncronize certain folders using a tool like Sync Toy or robocopy.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by IamDefiler Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:28 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Ahhh!!! Good 'ol Hamachi! I honestly don't know why I didn't think of that considering I use it on a daily basis to circumvent having to VPN into my computer at the office by using port 80 through the proxy. ;)

I will mark this as an answer but I hope this throws some thoughts out there to develop an add-in. I would myself but coding is way out of my league.

Thanks again!
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:28 PM