WHS V1 : What suitable 2To Sata HDD ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I want to replace 1x650 and 1x1To sata Hdd from data storage volume on my WHS v1, by 2 new 2To Sata hdd's

-> What HDD 2To model(s) have been successfully tested on WHS v1 ?

I ask this question, because new "4kb sector Advanced Format"  used on  HDD's like WD WD20EARS, or SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 204UI can be a problem on WHS v1, following Internet forums

nb : WD WD20EARS 2To HDD has a jumper to return to classic 512 bytes/sector format 

Thanks for any info :-)

BR from France

Nb : I have read this forum, by I didn't find the conclusion:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/whshardware/thread/315c8f6e-80ad-4359-aefe-8334b6e31302

Jean-Max

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Jean-Max

I think as long as you treat it as you would XP (by using the jumper) you should be OK. If I remember correctly, I have a WD Green 1.5TB in my WHS1 server but I can not remember if it is an EADS or EARS - I will check later today and let you know.

Phil

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I've got 3 of the WD20EARS drives installed with the jumper set, and haven't had any problems.   2 of them are in a USB enclosure, and 1 of them is in the server case.

But I have been reading that some people are having performance problems with them due to a firmware issue with the Load/Unload cycles, read here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/WD-Caviar-Green-HDDs-Suffer-From-a-Critical-Design-Flaw-196159.shtml

I am only able to view the Drive's SMART info on my newest drive inside my WHS case... I took a look and based on the number of hours the drive has been running, and the number of load/unload cycles, my drive looks like it goes in and out of idle mode an average of about 8 times an hour...  which doesn't seem like it's high...    Although that is my newest WD20EARS.  The older WD20EARS drives I have are inside a USB enclosure, so I can't get the SMART info on them unless I take everything apart...  so not sure if they are affected by this issue or not.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Mine is a WD15EADS so not an advanced format drive. However see reply from acrivoice confirming my original understanding. Good luck.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:08 AM
  • TI've got 3 of the WD20EARS drives installed with the jumper set, and haven't had any problems. 

But I have been reading that some people are having performance problems with them due to a firmware issue with the Load/Unload cycles

Hello,

I just commanded an WD20EARS.

When I will receive it, :

-(1)- I will set the jumper 7-8 then I will install it temporally on a classic PC

-(2)- I will boot this PC with the ISO CD wdidle3.iso image downloaded from :
     http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critical-design-flaw-found-in-wd-caviar-green-hdds.html

-(3)- Then I will set the HDD's heads parking delay (*):

-(4)- I will install the HDD in my WHS v1 to be incorporated in the DATA spool (Drive extender)

(*) Question about heads parking delay setup :

For an HDD which will be integrated in the DATA spool of an WHS v1 :

-> Must-1 deactivate the parking delay totally (wdidle3 /d)
    or
    -> Must-I only use the max time delay of 300 sec (wdidle3 /s 300)

If it was a true RAID, WD ask to deactivate parking delay
    BUT, for the WHS v1, it's not a RAID, so what's the better choice for me ?

Thanks for any idea, info and .. experience :-)

BR from France

Jean-Max
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:24 AM
  • I would say that setting the jumper is the most important thing you can do with these drives...

Next, according to the softpedia article it's:

wdidle3 /S300

then

wdidle3 /R

Personally I don't think you should disable the parking delay completely, but that's just my opinion.

Personally I didn't do this to my drives, I just set the jumper (this softpedia article just came out).  And like I said I'm not even sure if it's necessary in my case I was only able to view the SMART information for one of my three drives, but my average load/unload cycles looks pretty good. My drive has been running for about 2508 hours, and has had about 17500 load/unload cycles, which means that it's going thru a load/unload about 7 times an hour, which seems to be about right.

That being said this drive is only about 105 days old... so I am not sure if they changed that idle time in the latest firmware or not. 

My other 2 WD20EARS drives are probably about 8 months old, and I haven't had any problems with them yet...  I don't want to take apart my server just to get at the SMART info on them...  I figure they've got a 3 year warranty, Western Digital's RMA process is pretty good, I recently had to RMA a WD15EADS drive, and received my replacement drive in Canada within a week.  I've also got a backup of everything that's on those drives, so I'm not that concerned... all hard drives eventually fail... it's just a matter of time.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Thanks !

I will set jumper 7-8 then parking delay to 300sec, then add the WD20EARS to my WHS v1 in the drive extender zone

I will let you know the results

I hope now that the old Asus P4P800-E deluxe MB will accept the HDD ..

Jean-Max
    Monday, June 6, 2011 4:56 PM

• Thanks !

I will set jumper 7-8 then parking delay to 300sec, then add the WD20EARS to my WHS v1 in the drive extender zone

I will let you know the results

I hope now that the old Asus P4P800-E deluxe MB will accept the HDD ..

Jean-Max

Hi,

I am disappointed by this post  from J1mbo :
    http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/11681-wd-green-2tb-drives-should-we-use-wd-align/page__st__440__gopid__109021#entry109021

-> What do you think ?

Thanks !

edit 08/06/ 16:00

I made a mistrake : I understand now that for WHS v1, Jumper 7-8 replaces unuseful WD-align , but WDidle is useful to set heads parking delay  

• Edited by Jean-Max Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:26 AM
  • I am using

http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/generic/website.asp?dept=73&page=productDetail&liwCode=100023640

These apparently are AF drives aswell, but I just threw them in the server and initialized the disk and added it the storage pool and thats it I have had 1 in for approx 2 weeks without a problem and I added a second yesterday.

HMG
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

Jumper 7-8 set, then wdidle3 /S300 to set idle time to 300sec :

-> the WD20EARS has been added without problem in my WHS v1 drive extender :)

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/11681-wd-green-2tb-drives-should-we-use-wd-align/page__view__findpost__p__109133

Thanks for the kind help :)

Jean-Max
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:35 AM
  • 2 out of 3 WD EARS disks were DOA (one not spinning up and the other with damaged sectors after approx. 1 day), which caused some pain.

Replaced those with a Samsung ST2000DL 003 (non 4KB, if I remember right), and all disks work w/o problem now.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:04 PM
  • .... a Samsung ST2000DL 003 (non 4KB, if I remember right),..

Hi Olaf,

If you talk about Seagate barracuda green ST2000DL, it has the Seagate SmartAlign™  technology with new 4k advanced format

No jumper to change it to 512

Nb : Perhaps Seagate has an align tool,  to change from 4k to 512  ? (like WD align utility)

If not, I presume it's impossible to install on an WHS v1 ..

Right ?

BR from France

Jean-Max
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:14 PM