none
NNTP Bridge giving 503 error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a 503 error from the NNTP Bridge on one forum only - Win7 ITPro General (better known as Win 7 Micscellaneous)

Can anyone repro - or is it just me?

I've tried starting and stopping the server - and exiting the Bridge and restarting it.

I *really* don't want to try resetting the newsgroup list as it more often loses groups that I'm subscribed to than finds new ones!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:39 PM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• OK - Never mind...

A CatchUp of the group fixed it, seemingly.

Be nice to know what caused it, though??

Anyone?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Updates.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:22 AM
    Owner
  • FWIW, it seems to have been caused by one particular thread - I was able to work around it by doing a post-sample request (using Forte Agent) and only one post persistently failed. Unfortunately, there's no data available from the Bridge.

It's very similar to an error I get from the Community Bridge over in Answers occasionally, where the post has been deleted, and it seems that the permissions on it are screwed so that the post is seen by the Bridge, but access locked out. I'm told that this should trip the bridge into a per-post retrieval, but it doesn't, and I have to do a catchup, and sample the area repeatedly in an attempt to get the posts.

Next time it happens there, I'll try and post the log here, if it would help :)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:50 AM
    Answerer
  • FWIW, it seems to have been caused by one particular thread - I was able to work around it by doing a post-sample request (using Forte Agent) and only one post persistently failed. Unfortunately, there's no data available from the Bridge.

It's very similar to an error I get from the Community Bridge over in Answers occasionally, where the post has been deleted, and it seems that the permissions on it are screwed so that the post is seen by the Bridge, but access locked out. I'm told that this should trip the bridge into a per-post retrieval, but it doesn't, and I have to do a catchup, and sample the area repeatedly in an attempt to get the posts.

Next time it happens there, I'll try and post the log here, if it would help :)

In my experience, the error message usually means that a thread has been deleted or moved, but my newsreader still thinks it is there. I noticed this a few days ago with the .reportabug forum (using the Community Bridge and Windows Live Mail). I Reset the group in WLM, which usually fixes the problem. This time, that didn't work. Nothing will (re-)download, and I get error message 503. Catch Up suppresses the error message, but (obviously) I am unable to download any threads.

The error message from WLM is:

503 program fault - command not performed System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to http://services.social.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc. This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP reque

Configuration:
       Account: 127.0.0.1
       Server: 127.0.0.1
       Protocol: NNTP
       Port: 119
       Secure(SSL): 0
       Windows Live Mail Error ID: 503
       Code: 800cccac

The message from the debug window in the Bridge is as follows:

[Client 13] ClientDisconnected
    [Client: 9] ClassifyCommand: GROUP Microsoft.en-US.reportabug
    [Client: 9] Received: Command: GROUP, Parameters: Microsoft.en-US.reportabug
    [Client 14] ClientConnected
    [Client: 14] ClassifyCommand: MODE READER
    [Client: 14] Received: Command: MODE, Parameters: READER
    [Client: 14] Received: Response: 200 Community Forums NNTP Server 1.1.45.0 Ready - posting allowed

[Client: 14] ClassifyCommand: NEWGROUPS 121230 200024
    [Client: 14] Received: Command: NEWGROUPS, Parameters: 121230 200024
    [Client: 9] Received: Response: 211 27344 1 27344 Microsoft.en-US.reportabug group selected

[Client: 9] ClassifyCommand: XHDR subject 27245-27344
    [Client: 9] Received: Command: XHDR, Parameters: subject 27245-27344
    [Client 9] DataReceived failed: Exception:
    Type System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException
    Source: mscorlib
    Message: An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to http://services.social.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc. This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request context being aborted by the server (possibly due to the service shutting down). See server logs for more details.
    Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp>b__3(Int32 index, Int32 batchSize, Boolean& finished)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.BuildResultsInBatch_[T,T2](Func`2 converter, MyFunc`4 generator, Action`1 progressResult)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp[T](Guid forumId, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Boolean loadBody, Func`2 converter, Action`1 progress)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.GetArticlesByNumberToStream(String clientUsername, String groupName, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Action`1 articlesProgressAction)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpCommandXHdr.Parse(String parameters, Action`1 writeAction, Client client)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpServer.DataReceived(String data, Int32 clientNumber)Exception:
    Type System.Net.WebException
    Source: System
    Message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)Exception:
    Type System.IO.IOException
    Message: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)Exception:
    Type System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    Socket ErrorCode: 10054
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    [Client: 14] Received: Response: 231 list of new newsgroups follows

[Client: 14] Received: Response: Microsoft.en-US.BLINK 5 1 y

Error during GetNewsgroupListFromDate (SupportedBrands): Exception:
    Type System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException
    Source: mscorlib
    Message: An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to http://services.answers.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc. This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request context being aborted by the server (possibly due to the service shutting down). See server logs for more details.
    Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetActiveBrands()
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetActiveBrands()
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.get_SupportedBrands()
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.GetNewsgroupListFromDate(String clientUsername, DateTime fromDate, Action`1 groupAction)Exception:
    Type System.Net.WebException
    Message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)Exception:
    Type System.IO.IOException
    Message: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)Exception:
    Type System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    Socket ErrorCode: 10054
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
    [Client: 14] Received: Response: .

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:01 PM
  • OK, exiting WLM, deleting the Microsoft.en-US.reportabug folder in my user profile, and then restarting WLM helped (sort of). I can now download new messages from the reportabug forum, but I can't get anything from before today.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:35 PM
  • I have seen this in the T-SQL forums occasionally. There is a contaminated range of articles that I'm unable to retrieve. I noticed this the other day with reportabug, but I just did catch up om what I had unread to get based the poisoned range.

The poison was still active when you posted your original article by the way; when I tried to retrieve it through my newsreader, I got 503 repeatedly.

Another weird thing when looking this thread in the web UI, I don't see any author names, but I can "Answerer" on one person.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, February 18, 2013 2:19 AM
  • I have seen this in the T-SQL forums occasionally. There is a contaminated range of articles that I'm unable to retrieve. I noticed this the other day with reportabug, but I just did catch up om what I had unread to get based the poisoned range.

[---]

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

My mistake, apparently, was trying to reset the group (instead of using Catch Up).

Now that you mention it, I believe we have discussed these "poisoned ranges" before, but I had forgotten it. :-(

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:22 AM